Is this algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

felku

Aquarium Advice Activist
I already have 2 weeks with my new planted tank and I think I already have algae problems. I was using a DIY co2 but I have like 4 days without using it because I got out of citric acid and I'm waiting for some I ordered. I'm using exel . Below is a pic of the tank, also the one on the back ,don't know how is that called it seems the leaf are turning brown. The light is a finnex 24/7

Attachments

• IMAG0794.jpg
    IMAG0794.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 78
The two plants on the left, Cryptocorne and Sword (Amazon?), are heavy root feeders and would do much better if they were removed from the rockwool and plastic cages and planted directly into the substrate. A substrate fertilizer is recommended for these plants.
Brown, dying leaves can occur while the plant adjusts to the new conditions. Algae is opportunistic and can appear on non-growing leaves. It might be advisable to cut off the brown leaves close to the crown/base.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
1. Use the dimmer feature and reduce the lighting.
2. Reduce the light duration (5-6 hours)
3. Cut off the brownish, dying, algae covered leaves
4. Slightly increase the excel dosage; you can dose daily
5. Mentioned previously, remove the plants from the pots, plants and provide ample fertilizers. Healthy plant growth will compete with the algae.

1. Use the dimmer feature and reduce the lighting.
2. Reduce the light duration (5-6 hours)
3. Cut off the brownish, dying, algae covered leaves
4. Slightly increase the excel dosage; you can dose daily
5. Mentioned previously, remove the plants from the pots, plants and provide ample fertilizers. Healthy plant growth will compete with the algae.

Thanks, I was using the 24/7 mode. Moon light, is count as light?
I remove the plants from the pots and removed brown leaves and use root tabs.

I'm using 1ml of excel dailly(10g tank)
I'm also dosing ferts and today I set my diy co2. A question about co2 it is safe to let it run during night too?

Moonlight (mode) should not count as photosynthetic light.
IMO I would switch to the non-24/7 mode, run it on a timer, and dim it.
If the CO2 is DIY, running it at night should be fine (output is typically low). If you still feel that this is a concern, you can run an air stone or extra pump or HOB filter (no media) on a timer and have it on when the lights are off. This should dissipate any extra CO2 at night.

Moonlight (mode) should not count as photosynthetic light.
IMO I would switch to the non-24/7 mode, run it on a timer, and dim it.
If the CO2 is DIY, running it at night should be fine (output is typically low). If you still feel that this is a concern, you can run an air stone or extra pump or HOB filter (no media) on a timer and have it on when the lights are off. This should dissipate any extra CO2 at night.

Thanks for help. I have the CO2 running to one bubble per second only so I will let it open all night and see what happens

To the pundits, I beg to state since my question is directly related to the topic i.e. suggestion and hope felku will not mind. and felku anxiously awaiting your results/observations with new changes.
My Case:
55 g w/ foot print 36x15 inches, 1/4 tank just planted, eco-complete 40lb + Flourite 15lb + Flora-Max 12lb for 2.25" high substrate, total fish inches 30, KH is between 4-6.
I am using pH controller for injecting CO2 (60 bbps) in day with bright light , and shut it off during the night while in the night I am aerating the tank using air stone at a high rate (scared as once my filter stopped during the night and with no aeration each one of my fish was on the surface breathing air). Could it be this high aeration that in the morning the pH jumps from 6.9 to 7.5 (every night it is the same case).

Q: Does the high rate of aeration during night pushes CO2 out of the tank making pH jump from 6.9 to 7.5

(Again my deepest regret for jumping in middle of the thread)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom