Japanese Moss Balls....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone have any experience with these? How do they do? Thinking of getting a couple for my 26G. Any info is appreciated.

Absorb phosphate as in stealing nutrients, or as in can keep it down to help keep from having algea? I've seen some of these myself and wasn't really interested in them, but nutrient controls might be handy.

...as of keeping the phosphate down to control algae. I don't know how significant this is in controlling algae in a fully set up aquarium, though they are great for betta bowls. When we buy them for the store that's where we keep most of them...in betta bowls. If you squeeze them you can see the white cloud of phosphate coming out of them.

The most incredible thing I've heard direct from plant dealers that sell moss balls is that they take 100 years to get to that 2" to 3" in diameter size. There are only a very small handful of dealers who have permission to collect them to keep this moss from being over exploited.

To keep them in the spherical form they must have a certain amount of water flow,or to manually shape the balls yourself.They are only a special amount fo dealers that can get some because they are a protected species in Japan.I like the idea of attaching it to wood or rocks.HTH

I have one. I am pretty sure it has grown since I got it. I move it once manually once in a while so it doesn't develop a flat spot. The tank I have it in is under 2wpg and no CO2. I've heard they sometimes float.. Mine never has.. I've never thought of squeezing it to see what it would do.

webmoose said:
I have one. I am pretty sure it has grown since I got it. I move it once manually once in a while so it doesn't develop a flat spot. The tank I have it in is under 2wpg and no CO2. I've heard they sometimes float.. Mine never has.. I've never thought of squeezing it to see what it would do.

Oh and they do fill up with gasses and float up to the surface,it is probably not producing the minnimal amount of gas to float up because of you don't inject CO2.

Back
Top Bottom