java fern and ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlaseMrNiceguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So yesterday I picked up the florish pack with flourish, excel, and iron. I have mr aqua soul as substrate with small round gravel on top. I also picked up a half mat of java fern. So how much and how often shoukd I use the ferts? Will I need an iron test kit? Whats the best way to plant the fern, should I leave it on the mat?

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
So yesterday I picked up the florish pack with flourish, excel, and iron. I have mr aqua soul as substrate with small round gravel on top. I also picked up a half mat of java fern. So how much and how often shoukd I use the ferts? Will I need an iron test kit? Whats the best way to plant the fern, should I leave it on the mat?

You got good ferts IMO. I'd follow the labels for each except the iron which is better to halve the dose unless you start so see signs that the leaves need more. You absolutely don't need an iron test kit. If you plan on having lots of plants then the basic plants are all you'll need. Phosphate may be useful if you find your tank filling up with plants but nitrate is the real important one. You never want zero, always 5-20ppm for easy plants.

For planting I always loosely tie my ferns to wood or rock with cotton thread just like anubias and moss. If you have wood or moss you can ditch the mat while being careful about the roots. You have a great substrate. Are there any plants in it yet? Remember, ferns should never be planted in the sub. They use their roots to pull the liquid ferts right out of the water. It's kinda cool.

Yeah I have had this tank up and running for about 8 months now. I have a bunch of crypts, anubias, and swords. Also one small tiger lilly I think is called. Also I have christmas moss. Only plants in the strate are swords and crypts. Mostly wendetti.

Gotta love Wendetii. What size tank is it? If you have swords and wendtii it may be bigger than I thought. I'd love to see a picture of your tank! Do you have anything to tie the ferns to?

Got some cichlid stones and driftwood I could possibly tie it too will get pics when I get home

So im doing my second dose of ferts today. How long does it take to start to see improvements, generally?

Its manzanita wood. I got really lucky finding that big piece it fits perfectly in the tank. There is also 2 smaller pieces I have plants attached to.

Back
Top Bottom