Java fern making babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tnfinfan

Aquarium Advice Freak
It still has thread holding it on the driftwood and it's already making baby plants on the leaves! What do I do to harvest for relocation and when? And will the mother plant survive this? There are babies on nearly all of the leaves which seems draining to me... but then maybe that's because I'm used to more demanding little ones? The other java fern I got at the same time is growing new leaves and grabbing on as expected while this one is apparently putting all its energy into making babies. Not at all what I expected from a new plant.

Once baby plants have some roots you can remove them and tie them where you want.

It looks really nice if you remove a bunch of baby java ferns and glue them all over a piece of wood or a rock.
I used hot glue for mine and I've heard of people using super glue.

Does super glue gel work on wet wood? I tied the ferns with heavy cotton button twine at first but the cotton broke down before they grabbed. I used green fishing line the second go but it's not the easiest to work with and I eventually will need to remove it.

I've personally never used it as I always tie my Java ferns, Anubia's, and Bolbitus down with cotton thread. If you can remove the wood and dry any surface water off and use a towel dried plantlet it is my understanding that the super glue gel will work. Don't put it in the water till the glue surface dries for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom