Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2018, 06:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Java Fern question

I bought a small batch of Java for my home tank from my LFS were I normally get everything with no issues. Got this guy home and noticed all these hard black and brown spots on the leaves and some green growths as well. Is this a concern? Doesnít look like any snail eggs I have seen...

If I run my thumb across the leaf they come off with a little give.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	310834Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0517.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	310835Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0518.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	310836Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0519.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	310837Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0520.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	310838

Old 10-29-2018, 07:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohenjl13 View Post
I bought a small batch of Java for my home tank from my LFS were I normally get everything with no issues. Got this guy home and noticed all these hard black and brown spots on the leaves and some green growths as well. Is this a concern? Doesnít look like any snail eggs I have seen...

If I run my thumb across the leaf they come off with a little give.

Attachment 310834Attachment 310835Attachment 310836Attachment 310837Attachment 310838
Thats normal
those are spores that will probably shoot of new plantlets

Old 10-29-2018, 08:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

That doesn't look anything like mine. Mine grow out new plans from midway down the leaf to the end and some of the things you have look like gall. It is the plants way of protecting it from a foreign object by growing and outer growth around it.

Here is an example of how my java fern propagates.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181021_202118.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	310842
Old 10-30-2018, 03:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Java fern enthusiast here; this is definitely not normal. Java fern does often propagate by spores on the underside of the leaves, but not like this.

This looks like either illness or infestation. Do not put this in your tank. I'd put it in a QT tank to get a better look at it. If the nodes open up with small filaments, it's likely harmless bryzoas.

If it spreads and warps the leaves or inhibits leaf growth, it's likely an infection. It's possible that these are protective galls forming in response to the plant trying to quarantine and battle an infection. Like cysts in the human body.

If it's not bryzoas, I'd dispose of it quite seriously. As in flames.
JackBinimbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBinimbul View Post
Java fern enthusiast here; this is definitely not normal. Java fern does often propagate by spores on the underside of the leaves, but not like this.

This looks like either illness or infestation. Do not put this in your tank. I'd put it in a QT tank to get a better look at it. If the nodes open up with small filaments, it's likely harmless bryzoas.

If it spreads and warps the leaves or inhibits leaf growth, it's likely an infection. It's possible that these are protective galls forming in response to the plant trying to quarantine and battle an infection. Like cysts in the human body.

If it's not bryzoas, I'd dispose of it quite seriously. As in flames.

Is there anything medicine/chemical wise I can toss in there to help kill off whatever it is?
Old 10-30-2018, 04:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yea im with tunamanphd on this one. these are normal. i have had them on my plants before and they turned out to spawn new plants. i will say though none of mine were ever brown, they were always green/dark green. if you are truly worried about them then trim off all leaves with these on it or do as others said and quarantine the plant.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do bleach dips on your plants. That should kill off anything bad.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

As Goat and Tuna have said, they do propagate by little nodes on the underside of leaves. But there are things here that stand out as abnormal. Such as; propagation doesn't happen from the central vein. And it doesn't happen from the base of the leaf.

I'm also not convinced that a bleach dip would do it. But again, putting it in a QT tank and watching it for a few weeks is the best way to sort out if these are going to sprout or spread.

JackBinimbul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
java, java fern, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com