Java Fern Turning Brown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheLyght

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! This is my first post so hello to all of my aquarium enthusiasts! I'm hoping I can find some useful information by posting this :) I have had a 65 gallon freshwater tank for about 2 years now and I am working with perfecting a 10 gallon freshwater tank.

In my 10 gallon tank I have 3 java ferns that are turning brown. I've read multiple different posts on various forums about possible causes and I can't seem to pinpoint a fix for my plants.

None of the java ferns have their rhizomes buried. I've attempted reducing the light (I've read too much could "burn" the fern). I have yet to add any ferts or Co2 but not opposed to doing so. The brown stuff doesn't rub off. Only a couple of the smaller leaves have actually rotted and detached.

Water Parameters: Ammonia - going between 0-.5, I'm learning smaller tanks are a pain to fully cycle. Nitrites - 0. Nitrates - 5.0. I use API liquid master test kit.

Inhabitants: 5 neon tetras, 1 male half moon betta, and 1 juli cory (soon to be 3).

The plants include 2 amazon sword, 3 java fern and some java moss. Only having issues with the java ferns.

Lighting: 25w full spectrum daylight bulb, running 6-8 hours a day.

Substrate: Fine white sand with small pebbles, again I have the rhizomes above the substrate on the java ferns.

I've been doing daily PWCs to ensure the ammonia levels stay as low as possible until the tank establishes itself more.

I will attach a couple photos of the java ferns. ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

https://imageshack.com/i/kpWsKsQPj

photo_1_2.jpg

photo_2_1.jpg

Hmm... Is it possible your java fern grew out of water? my anubias was and the older leaves started looking like that.

Also, I would start dosing florapride or liquid co2 along with root tabs for the Java. Probably just lack of nutrients.

Click

Like it says, check your nitrate levels. Florapride will help with phosphates and use boiled eggshells to up calcium if necessary.

Best of luck, - Raymond

I'm convinced you are burning it. Get some floating plants to decease your light. TBH at 25 watts of daylight bulbs at that height you are probably at medium light.

Yes. Put some nutrients in the water and cut off the brown leaves. They won't get better and cutting them off will make it easier for the plant to grow new ones. In fact, none other than Takashi Amano says the more you cut Java Fern, the more it grows.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you all for the advice! I will look into either adding some floating plants or getting a lower watt bulb. Also, I haven't used any nutrients yet so I will give that a try as well :)

Thanks again!

Thank you all for the advice! I will look into either adding some floating plants or getting a lower watt bulb. Also, I haven't used any nutrients yet so I will give that a try as well :)

Thanks again!

No problem! Nutrients will certainly help. With plants you can't always tell whats wrong so sometimes you just have to try things and see what works. :D

My Java fern leaves died but small plant-lets grew from the dying leaves. These I have repositioned but some detached themselves and are successfully growing under other plants. I think therefore that excessive light was the problem. Sometimes natured finds it's own solution.

java ferns have a habit of losing there leaves if you change the water conditions like putting them in a new tank , but will grow new leaves if the roots are healthy

Back
Top Bottom