Java fern type?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DesktopTankDiva

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just purchased my first live plant, it was labeled a "Crested Java Fern". I searched online and can't find a reference to this type. Is it the same as a Windelov?

Also, the root area does not appear to have the typical horizontal rhizome. Is it too immature? It looks like a plain stem with stringy roots.

Thanks in advance for the info!
DesktopD

Here is a pic of the Crested Java Fern, or so it is labeled. I'd already discarded the packaging otherwise I would have taken a pic of it as well. It was purchased from Petco and was contained in a plastic tube packaging with the roots set in clear gel. To me, it looks similar to a Windelov but this is my first live plant so I'm unsure.

DesktopD

Attachments

• 20190103_222253.jpg
    20190103_222253.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 53
I stopped at Petco (to pet the adoptable kitties!) and thought to take a pic of the container my java fern came from. The front of the packaging identifies the plant as Crested as well. It also lists an Asian and African fern, I wasn't familiar with those either.

Attachments

• 20190104_202441.jpg
    20190104_202441.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 71
Thanks for the link Autumn, it contains a lot of useful info on the plant.

Strange though that even Wiki has no reference to a "Crested" when a major pet supply uses the term. Love the name "Lance Leaf" though!...maybe I'll look for one of those next!

I have only killed the trident one, not sure why. All others seem good luck with.

The narrow leaf ones are great. Recently read there is a mini but I don't know exactly what it really is by species. Need to do more checking!

Super cute! :)
There seems to be a mini/dwarf of everything these days so maybe they'll be more readily available soon.

Back
Top Bottom