Java ferns attachment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Professor

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a plastic rock that I bought from LFS awhile back, the tank in question has always been artificial 10 gallon.

Contains Tiger barbs/black skirts.

I've recently did a salvage job on my bedroom tank to get what was left of my plants. I then move them to this other 10 gallon with the plastic rock and remove all the artificial plants. All I have left is java ferns and some unknown grass plant which started the plague in my bedroom tank.

I would like to know how to attach the java ferns to the rock so it can root itself and grow.

I'm not sure how tho? String? Rubber band? Is the rock not suitable to root on?

~Mp

I use common sewing string (the kind you use to sew a button back on). You could use anything through. Twist-ties are also common. The idea is to keep it attached until it attaches itself. Rubberbands might not be the best solution though...

Another thing that is REQUIRED ...

Patience!

I had mine tied with string to a rock for a month. Figured it HAD to be long enough for it to attach. Wrong! Snipped the string and the JF floated off.

(Anyone care to PM me on how to propigate a java fern? Have one that has all kinds of "babies" on it. Wondering how to get them to take off so I can (possibly) ditch the parent plant. It's been through hard times with algae, etc. and looks like H.E. Double hockey sticks.)PMs recieved. Thanks for the assist!

I use fishing line to attach plants to rocks and driftwood. It doesn't come off like the thread does (sometimes a good thing, sometimes bad ;)). Alot of things will work though.

I have used fishing line too. I was trying to attach a fern to a rock that was too smooth - the fishing line kept slipping off. I used superglue to glue the fishing line underneath the rock. I let that dry for a day or two, then put the rock in a bowl of water for another day or two, and then tied the fern and put it in the tank.

I've been very happy with common sewing thread. The trick is to wrap it so as the plant roots are not being choked (like a turnorquet). Wrap it loosely but with enough so that it cannot unwind. I like to use large rocks and bury the rocks into the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom