Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Java ferns attachment?

I have a plastic rock that I bought from LFS awhile back, the tank in question has always been artificial 10 gallon.

Contains Tiger barbs/black skirts.

I've recently did a salvage job on my bedroom tank to get what was left of my plants. I then move them to this other 10 gallon with the plastic rock and remove all the artificial plants. All I have left is java ferns and some unknown grass plant which started the plague in my bedroom tank.

I would like to know how to attach the java ferns to the rock so it can root itself and grow.

I'm not sure how tho? String? Rubber band? Is the rock not suitable to root on?

~Mp

Old 03-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use common sewing string (the kind you use to sew a button back on). You could use anything through. Twist-ties are also common. The idea is to keep it attached until it attaches itself. Rubberbands might not be the best solution though...

dapellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Another thing that is REQUIRED ...

Patience!

I had mine tied with string to a rock for a month. Figured it HAD to be long enough for it to attach. Wrong! Snipped the string and the JF floated off.

(Anyone care to PM me on how to propigate a java fern? Have one that has all kinds of "babies" on it. Wondering how to get them to take off so I can (possibly) ditch the parent plant. It's been through hard times with algae, etc. and looks like H.E. Double hockey sticks.)PMs recieved. Thanks for the assist!

55 gallon Planted - Tank Log
DIY Hood 96w 6500K
Rena Filstar Xp3
Ketso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
I use fishing line to attach plants to rocks and driftwood. It doesn't come off like the thread does (sometimes a good thing, sometimes bad ). Alot of things will work though.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I have used fishing line too. I was trying to attach a fern to a rock that was too smooth - the fishing line kept slipping off. I used superglue to glue the fishing line underneath the rock. I let that dry for a day or two, then put the rock in a bowl of water for another day or two, and then tied the fern and put it in the tank.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I've been very happy with common sewing thread. The trick is to wrap it so as the plant roots are not being choked (like a turnorquet). Wrap it loosely but with enough so that it cannot unwind. I like to use large rocks and bury the rocks into the substrate.

Tags
java, java fern

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com