Jordan's plant journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good, looking forward to seeing how it turns out

Thank you! The tank is almost a month old. The dwarf baby tears have already grown in a lot. My wisteria looks pretty rough right now, but i've had luck with it in the past, so hopefully it'll green up. lol. Several of these plants are plants I've never had before. Does anyone know if 4 T5s are too much for a 55 planted? I'm not for sure doing one. I'm just curious.

yeah, I noticed the water wisteria. It is going to keep losing leaves because it looks like it's emersed version. Pretty soon all the leaves will drop, new leaf shapes will grow, and it'll start growing like a weed.

I am using 2 T5HO on a 55 and it just isn't enough light; 4 should be great though.

If you want decent light on a 55g then the 4 bulb T5HO is best. I too have a 2 bulb T5HO on a couple 55's and while it can grow low light and some med light plants that is about all you can get out of them IMO.

yeah, I noticed the water wisteria. It is going to keep losing leaves because it looks like it's emersed version. Pretty soon all the leaves will drop, new leaf shapes will grow, and it'll start growing like a weed.

I am using 2 T5HO on a 55 and it just isn't enough light; 4 should be great though.

If you want decent light on a 55g then the 4 bulb T5HO is best. I too have a 2 bulb T5HO on a couple 55's and while it can grow low light and some med light plants that is about all you can get out of them IMO.

Thanks guys. I wasn't going to try and do a large planted tank, but it seems kind of like I have most of the things to do it anyway. I'm upgrading my reef from 55 to 100 gallons, so I already have the lights and everything. I have a total of 6 T5 fixtures to work with and a lot of different large HOB filters. So, it's not a for sure thing yet. But I'm crossing my fingers that I'm financially able to do both. Lol.

I like the submersed form of water wisteria the best. I feel a little goofy, though. I thought that them being in the "potted" form meant potted in the water. Lol. Is that right? I thought it was a fully aquatic plant? Or can it also be terrestrial?

If I go with a 55, I definitely want it to be very heavily planted.

My dream is to have a tank like your 220 gallon! I just don't think I know the ropes well enough yet. :)

Thanks guys. I wasn't going to try and do a large planted tank, but it seems kind of like I have most of the things to do it anyway. I'm upgrading my reef from 55 to 100 gallons, so I already have the lights and everything. I have a total of 6 T5 fixtures to work with and a lot of different large HOB filters. So, it's not a for sure thing yet. But I'm crossing my fingers that I'm financially able to do both. Lol.

I like the submersed form of water wisteria the best. I feel a little goofy, though. I thought that them being in the "potted" form meant potted in the water. Lol. Is that right? I thought it was a fully aquatic plant? Or can it also be terrestrial?

Buying plants from places like petsmart that have them in the gel substrate out of water means they are grown emersed. I'm not sure how yours was sold, but when I got mine from petsmart it looked just like yours and I thought it was going to die right along with most other plants I got there. It ended up just needing an adjustment period to living underwater. Both that and my amazon sword I got at the same time are thriving now.

Buying plants from places like petsmart that have them in the gel substrate out of water means they are grown emersed. I'm not sure how yours was sold, but when I got mine from petsmart it looked just like yours and I thought it was going to die right along with most other plants I got there. It ended up just needing an adjustment period to living underwater. Both that and my amazon sword I got at the same time are thriving now.

Mine was bought from petsmart in the gel too. I can't wait until my tank grows in like this one. (This is one of my old tanks that i no longer have.) I cannot wait to get my hands on some rotala indica. That's another plant that I like when it changes. I think that's the plant that kept this one looking so full but no one has been carrying it lately.

Do I need to do anything special for the amazon sword? This is the first one I've had and it seems like its lost a couple of leaves. But it still looks like its green and thriving.

Edit: Whoops! Here's the link.

img_2509400_0_ebb0fe3802fcd7091b01c7389935669e.jpg

You want to get root tabs for the swords as they are heavy root feeders.

As for plants that come in pots. They need to be removed from pots and planted in the substrate. Pots are only meant as temporary holding containers.

You want to get root tabs for the swords as they are heavy root feeders.

As for plants that come in pots. They need to be removed from pots and planted in the substrate. Pots are only meant as temporary holding containers.

Thank you! I didn't know if actually repotted them into larger pots. I have seachems root tabs under every group of plants and one especially for the sword. Does it need more than one?

Did you get the amazon sword in the same substrate? If you did the leaves it grows while emersed are more round shaped. After it adjusts the new leaves will be long blades.

Did you get the amazon sword in the same substrate? If you did the leaves it grows while emersed are more round shaped. After it adjusts the new leaves will be long blades.

Thanks. The sword was just in a tank. Not in the gel. It wasn't even potted for selling.

Thank you! I didn't know if actually repotted them into larger pots. I have seachems root tabs under every group of plants and one especially for the sword. Does it need more than one?

Root tabs under stem plants really won't do much. Ferts in the water is their main source of nutrients. If the Sword is small then one will be fine. For larger swords 2 or 3 might be necessary.

Looking good! Keep up the good work!

Thank you! :) :)

Root tabs under stem plants really won't do much. Ferts in the water is their main source of nutrients. If the Sword is small then one will be fine. For larger swords 2 or 3 might be necessary.

Awesome! I will give it a couple more. Idk whether its a big one or not, but I would rather it have too much than not enough.

Thinking about a DIY Co2 system. Anyone have any helpful links or advice?

Back
Top Bottom