Just set up my first planted tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_fresh

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just put plants in my 30 gallon. Here is what I am using in my tank right now, is there anything else i should use or change??

Flourite miwed with regular gravel
Zoomed Flora Sun bulb ( 8500k and the bulb is 17 watts)
Emperor 280 filter
Carbon
Seagel
Flourish

the plants I have are- Red Rubin, Ruffled Sword, Subluata, Hornwort, Petchii, Barteri, Aquarium Lily, Crypt Spiralis, Rosette, Wisteria, Aponogeton Crispus, Rotala Indica.

A 17w bulb over a 30G tank is a little low for even many low-light plants. I would recommend getting enough light to have at least 1 watt per gallon and preferably 1.5 watts per gallon for best results. The Flourite should work well as a substrate :)

Would my plants die or wilt with a 17 watt bulb? im having trouble finding a higher wattage with at least 5000k.

zach,

yes, they'll wilt and die. You will not find a higher wattage bulb. Wattage is determined by the ballast in the fixture, not the bulb. You'll have to add another fixture, or replace the current one with a higher powered one, like a coralife power compact fixture.

What I think is weird, is that you have a 30gallon, which should be 30 inches long. Should have a 24" long bulb, which is actually 20 watts.

Is this a tall tank, or a hexagonal tank? a bow front maybe?

malkore said:
What I think is weird, is that you have a 30gallon, which should be 30 inches long. Should have a 24" long bulb, which is actually 20 watts.

Not that unusual. I have an AG 30 gal tall that came with a 15w bulb.

Darn light strip manufacturer's :slurp:

The cheapest way to get 30 watts would to overdrive your current bulb by 2X.. they sell a electronic ballast at HD and lowes for somewhere around $7-8.. it is rated 2-F32T8.. you would use it to replace the current magnetic ballast with the HD/Lowes one but use both leads to the same bulb.. you should get ~30 watts from the ballast upgrade with very little heat increase..

Back
Top Bottom