Last attempt at Java Fern!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJFISH

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi AA - I'm sure everyone's tired about hearing my difficulties with "the easiest aquarium plant", java fern but here it goes! I'm on my 3rd plant now, tied to driftwood. I keep it shaded because I thought my lights were killing my previous 2. Plenty of pennywort, wisteria floating on top. Lights are T5ho, 10k/67k. I dose PPS Pro daily (3ml for 30g tank). My nitrates run about 10-20 depending on how close to a WC, phosphate around 5 usually. I run CO2 until checker is green, dose glut 10ml/day. The problem is with any new growth quickly turns almost translucent then the leaf generally turns unhealthy and dies. This happens first with new growth, then older leaves until the plant is basically dead. What am I doing wrong?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pics of a young leaf I snipped off, note the top half of the leaf.

Since new growth is mostly affected, this sounds and looks like an Iron deficiency to me. Are you testing for chelated iron or dosing iron?

Since new growth is mostly affected, this sounds and looks like an Iron deficiency to me. Are you testing for chelated iron or dosing iron?

I've only dosed what comes in the PPS pro pack

You may look at an iron supplement. Seachem has one that is readily available. PPS pro doesn't include iron in any appreciable quantity I don't think.

I can grow all different kinds of plants but for whatever reason I can not grow java fern. Don't understand it either.

You may look at an iron supplement. Seachem has one that is readily available. PPS pro doesn't include iron in any appreciable quantity I don't think.

I thought so, I'll look into the seachem iron. Do I need to test water before adding it? I don't have a water test for iron

I always like to test... but Fe kits are pretty inaccurate anyway, especially at the levels we dose it at. I think if you just follow the dosing instructions on the bottle you'll be ok.

I thought so, I'll look into the seachem iron. Do I need to test water before adding it? I don't have a water test for iron

Ok, I didn't want to have to buy a test if I didn't need to. I'll see how much it is on amazon then decide.

I'm like the same way I can grow the heck out of java fern but I can't grow anubias at all. Like here is my java and it's seedlings ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409603787.588475.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409603797.671796.jpg when ever it try anubias the leaves turn yellow then brown then just fall off.

:)Try just adding API Leaf Zone. Plants like Java Ferns feed though their leaves not roots use as directed on bottle once a week and your Ferns should do great.

Leaf zone is primarily a potassium supplement, with a few other nutrients in minor quantities. As the OP is already dosing PPS Pro, adding Leafzone would not be advised.

OPP's I'm sorry the leaf zone really helped my ferns for some reason that's why I thought it might help.:oops:

In the absence of other NPK supplements it is a fine product. It in this case just isn't providing anything new to the equation.

The pics of the leaves look ok to me. Mine grow in that way too. I'll second the suggestion for an iron supplement. I've started using Seachem Iron recently.

I'm like the same way I can grow the heck out of java fern but I can't grow anubias at all. Like here is my java and it's seedlings View attachment 248734View attachment 248735 when ever it try anubias the leaves turn yellow then brown then just fall off.
Anubias grow slower than java fern. It could be that your fern are outcompeting the anubias for nutrients. Turning brown means lack of light or lack of nutrients.

Well I'm trying anubias again this time I put it on the other side of the Tank in some driftwood

Anubias are really hard to kill even with no ferts, no CO2 injection, and very low light. If there are very few fish or the fish are rarely fed, there might not be enough natural ferts if too many competing plants.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah looking at your tank photo I think you have too many big plants and not enough fish so not enough natural ferts. This ratio of plants to fish can only succeed with extra dosing of ferts. Also if you keep the anubias hidden under the shadow of your larger plants maybe there isn't enough light.

Finally, remember not to bury the rhizome of the anubias or it will die.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom