light for 55gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Scroggins..

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm not new to the fish keeping world, but have never kept a planted aquarium. Planning on doing a 55gal tetra tank, and want to keep some medium light plants (rotala, val, hygro, some java stuff, maybe a few swords), and possibly graduate to medium-high with CO2 in the future.. I know for this tank size the 2wpg rule is precise but, Power Compacts, T5s.. what's better/the difference, pros/cons.. any brand or model recommendations please. Input is greatly appreciated!! thanks all.

www.fishneedit.com has some good priced T5HO fixtures... The Current Nova series is also a good brand. a simple 2x54w would give you plenty of light, but you may want to get a 4x54w in case you plan on upgrading eventually, and just run actinics in it until then

got it. nice. so i would run the actinics for the night/off period in the light cycle? really appreciate the response, thanks.

not necessarily... you could if it has seperate switches, but there would be no need in running them when the daylights are off... the actinics would only be for looks or if the unit has to have all 4 bulbs in it... im sure you know they would do nothin for the plants

just run actinics in it until then

I think this is what confused him. Dr. S. What he means is if you buy the fixture that has four bulbs, it comes with 2 of them as actinic. He is saying that until you replace the actinics with the daylights, you can just go ahead and operate it with the actinics. Daylights are preferable for appearance, but the plants will grow either way .

Aqua medic makes a good T5 fixture, and you can get it with all daylight bulbs

Back
Top Bottom