lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemyguppies

Aquarium Advice Freak
About 2 months ago my husband and I purchased dual t5ho lights for our 55 gallon planted tank and paid about $200 for them. The other day I was in the middle of a pwc and the lights just stopped working but the moonlight leds on it still work. We bought the deep blue solarmax ho lights and replaced the actinic bulb with a zoomed florasun bulb. Within the next couple weeks I will be getting about a $3000 bonus and would like to get recommendations on new lights to buy. I currently dose excel but I'm interested in doing pressurized co2 I just don't know anything about that. Any ideas?

Lighting Your 55 G

About 2 months ago my husband and I purchased dual t5ho lights for our 55 gallon planted tank and paid about $200 for them. The other day I was in the middle of a pwc and the lights just stopped working but the moonlight leds on it still work. We bought the deep blue solarmax ho lights and replaced the actinic bulb with a zoomed florasun bulb. Within the next couple weeks I will be getting about a $3000 bonus and would like to get recommendations on new lights to buy. I currently dose excel but I'm interested in doing pressurized co2 I just don't know anything about that. Any ideas?

Hello love...

Before going to this expense, I'd check to see if the plants you have require this level of light. If you have demanding plants, then high end lighting may be needed and a CO2 system will be necessary to supplement the lighting.

Just a thought.

B

I have rotala macrandra, rotala indica, a banana plant, dwarf hairgrass, wisteria, some type of bulb plant, corkscrew vals, and an unknown plant that's growing very well lol

Edit: i also have microswords i think

You have some plants that do the best in high light (rotala macrandra and DHG) so before buying new lights you need to decide if you want to go to a more high light tank. High lights you'll need CO2 or a higher dose of liquid carbon plus you'll need to get a good fertilizer system. Dry ferts are recommended and dosing either PPS-Pro or El. You could do a 4 bulb T5HO fixture (a brand with good reflectors) if you want to go high light. How is your DHG doing with a 2 bulb T5HO?

If your wanting to get serious about plants, I would look into getting a CO2 system rather than putting a bunch of money into a high end fixture. I would also call the service line for your lights (if they have one) and see if they'll replace it. 2 months is much too short for a light to last, especially a $200 one.

You have some plants that do the best in high light (rotala macrandra and DHG) so before buying new lights you need to decide if you want to go to a more high light tank. High lights you'll need CO2 or a higher dose of liquid carbon plus you'll need to get a good fertilizer system. Dry ferts are recommended and dosing either PPS-Pro or El. You could do a 4 bulb T5HO fixture (a brand with good reflectors) if you want to go high light. How is your DHG doing with a 2 bulb T5HO?

The dhg isn't growing, but it's not dieing either. I'd like to do high lighting because i want more colorful plants, and correct me if I'm wrong but i think a lot of the colorful plants have higher lighting requirements. I'm currently dosing api leaf zone and seachem comp, as well as seachem root tabs for ferts. When those run out i could start doing dry ferts but i don't really know anything about them. Do you have any recommendations for specific light fixtures? I'd rather not buy lights that are going to just stop working again lol.

If your wanting to get serious about plants, I would look into getting a CO2 system rather than putting a bunch of money into a high end fixture. I would also call the service line for your lights (if they have one) and see if they'll replace it. 2 months is much too short for a light to last, especially a $200 one.

I know the ones i bought have a 2 year warranty but we lost the receipt and warranty info. I was talking to my husband about it a couple hours ago and i guess he's been researching CO2 systems and has some ideas so I'll just let him deal with that lol.

I would still call them and see what they say. Worst they can do is say no, best they can do is save you $200. You might also try the store you bought it from.

I would still call them and see what they say. Worst they can do is say no, best they can do is save you $200. You might also try the store you bought it from.

The day we bought the lights the ballast (i think) went out in one of the lights and we returned it to the lfs and they replaced it since we had literally just bought it but they said if we had any more problems we would have to go through the company that makes them for a replacement. We were talking about calling and trying to get the lights replaced and just keep it as a back up in case anything like this happens again since we do want to do higher lights anyways.

I have AquaticLife T5HO fixtures and one Coralife. I like the AquaticLife and have had good luck with them. My oldest is 3 years old. I also prefer using 6000K Midday bulbs from Geisemann.

I have AquaticLife T5HO fixtures and one Coralife. I like the AquaticLife and have had good luck with them. My oldest is 3 years old. I also prefer using 6000K Midday bulbs from Geisemann.

Alright, I'll look into that, thank you :) also what can you tell me about the dry ferts, and any recommendations on that?

Do you know if PetSmart or Petco carry the AquaticLife fixtures? I have a 55 gal long and my Marinelife LED just quit me after 3 months. Plus I didn't know if that was enough light for my plants. Currently I just have java moss and swords. My Green Severum keeps pulling up my DHG so I've given up on growing that.

Do you know if PetSmart or Petco carry the AquaticLife fixtures? I have a 55 gal long and my Marinelife LED just quit me after 3 months. Plus I didn't know if that was enough light for my plants. Currently I just have java moss and swords. My Green Severum keeps pulling up my DHG so I've given up on growing that.

Honestly I don't know. I always buy mine online as it's so much cheaper and if you shop around you can usually find free shipping too.

I looked on Petsmart and petco websites and didn't find them

Thanks. I did find them on Amazon.com and I get free shipping there. I also found the Db Solarmaxhe2 Double T5 10000k Strip W/led on there for $65.36. I wonder if that would be a good light. I don't know much about lights except that I think I ruined my LED's by getting them wet. My bubbler (or air stone) sprays too much water up on the lights and I have a screen on top of the tank instead of my glass lids. I turned my bubbler down last night so maybe I've stopped that from happening again.

Rivercats, you seem to be doing great with your T5HO lighting. Your plants look great. That's why I'm thinking about going from an LED to a T5 setup. Your tanks always look amazing!

Back
Top Bottom