Lighting advice, etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryFan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am helping my son with his first "solo" planted tank. He is six. :D

He will be using a standard 15 gallon and we have Seachem Fluorite.

He will have a dwarf puffer (MAYBE two), snails, and possibly shrimp.

What recommendations do you have for lighting and anything else?

Thank you!

Hi Cory,

I'm assuming you will be using a standard florescent bulb. Start off with the common low light plants, such as: Java ferns, anubias, crypts, Hygrophila difformis. There's no need for a sophisticated CO2 system with the plants; utilizing Seachem Excel will suffice. Provide 8 hours of light per day and adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps,
David

DavidAl said:
Hi Cory,

I'm assuming you will be using a standard florescent bulb. Start off with the common low light plants, such as: Java ferns, anubias, crypts, Hygrophila difformis. There's no need for a sophisticated CO2 system with the plants; utilizing Seachem Excel will suffice. Provide 8 hours of light per day and adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps,
David

Thank you. I don't like the way standard light looks. It isn't bright enough. I just wasn't sure what to get for the plants he wants. I do appreciate your help! :)

Taxiphyllum sp. 'Spiky' tends to grow out into the water from where it is attached, maybe this can create a "branched tree" effect?

ImageGen.ashx

image taken from Tropica.dk

Last edited:
nereksnad said:
Taxiphyllum sp. 'Spiky' tends to grow out into the water from where it is attached, maybe this can create a "branched tree" effect?

That's awesome!

Look up dwarf four leaf clover. It'll grow fine under even very low lights and carpet slowly. It doesn't need co2 or bright lights. Beautiful plant.

CorallineAlgae said:
Look up dwarf four leaf clover. It'll grow fine under even very low lights and carpet slowly. It doesn't need co2 or bright lights. Beautiful plant.

Thank you. I like it. :)

Philly33 said:
The puffer will eat the snails and shrimp.

I need a snail eater, so that works out very well & was part of my plan.

I was hoping they would only eat shrimp fry. Maybe I won't bother with shrimp then.

Back
Top Bottom