Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheNamelessPoet said:
Amazon.com: 30 in. Nova Extreme T5 HO Freshwater Aquarium Light Fixture - 2 x 24W: Pet Supplies
Can I just purchase this and put whatever bulbs fit in there...

I am having a heck of a time finding a fixture capable of close to 4 wpg over my 30 gallon tank :-(

its 30" long if that helps.

That would be a fine fixture. You could get a 3 or even a 4 bulb T5 Odyssea freshwater fixture to get you to that light level. They're not as good as the Nova fixtures, though. Keep in mind that T5HO lights produce way more par than other types of fluorescent lights and don't follow the watt per gallon rule for planted tanks. Three bulbs should make any plant happy in a 30. Even two would grow high light plants with good bulbs in the fixture.

I would stick to 2 bulbs. 3 or 4 bulbs is a lot of light for a planted tank, even from a lower end light like odyssea or FNI.

Do you have plants for CO2?

Yes. I have pressurized co2. i am looking for 3.5-4 wpg. Ill be dosing fertz as well. I've don't planted before i had 3.25 over my 20 gallon. I was going to just use the same light but i want one that actually fits over the tank and it will only give me a hair over 2 wpg. I want a jungle lol

Yes. I have pressurized co2. i am looking for 3.5-4 wpg. Ill be dosing fertz as well. I've done planted before i had 3.25 over my 20 gallon. I was going to just use the same light but i want one that actually fits over the tank and it will only give me a hair over 2 wpg. I want a jungle lol

I would stick to 2 bulbs. 3 or 4 bulbs is a lot of light for a planted tank, even from a lower end light like odyssea or FNI.

Do you have plants for CO2?

I agree. You will have high lighting with 2 bulbs. With more than that, you'd most likely just grow algae and maybe even burn the plants.

If you're committed to having three lights, only use the third for a 2 hour (or so) afternoon burst so that it's on when your co2 is at it's peak. This will allow your light hungry plants a chance to use the light and nutrients (hopefully) before algae can use them. It's all a balancing act. You'll want your plants to be reeved-up and actively pearling before you hit them with a crazy high amount of T5HO light.

Do you think 65 watts would be enough then? that would actually make me insanely happy lol.
Plant list
Dwarf Baby Tears (for a solid carpeting groundcover)
Rosaefolia
Anubias barteri AND petite
Lilaeopis brasiliensis (i think)
Probably a java fern or something like that I haven't decided)
Vesicularia ferriei

Lol if i could use my 65 watt i can set my tank asap :)

Do you think 65 watts would be enough then? that would actually make me insanely happy lol.
Plant list
Dwarf Baby Tears (for a solid carpeting groundcover)
Rosaefolia
Anubias barteri AND petite
Lilaeopis brasiliensis (i think)
Probably a java fern or something like that I haven't decided)
Vesicularia ferriei

Lol if i could use my 65 watt i can set my tank asap :)

It depends on how tall the tank is. Are you sure its not a 29g? That is the only tank that is ~30g that is 30" long that I could think of...

I actually am on vacation so i won't be home till Tuesday but i have a 20 gallon now and its not much taller than that... Maybe an inch or two

Last edited:
The watts per gallon "rule" can ONLY be used as a rough guide and only with t8 and t12 bulbs. Like Aqua chem said 2 bulbs is enough for a 29g. You can still have your jungle.

I have two t5ho 54w lights over a 75g 8" from the waters surface and it's more than enough light.

Back
Top Bottom