Lighting suggestions for a 20 gallon long (30")

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vmax911

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm having trouble finding lights for a 20 gallon long tank, which is 30" in length. The trip to home depot yielded and abundance of 18", 24", and 36" lights. Do I need to settle for 24"? I know they make 20L/29 gallon hoods, are there really 30" bulbs in there, or just 24" with 3" dead spots on the sides?

Once I figure out a suitable bulb, I'll worry about WPG. I know the wpg rule breaks down on smaller tanks, but a 20L has the same footprint as a 29 gallon, but only 12" tall. So maybe I gain a little here?

Also, I will probably dose excel. Does that make injecting CO2 unnecessary?

I had a 55w All-glass CF fixture along with a dual flourescent fixture over mine for quite a while. The problem is, as you have already figured out, that you have dead spots in the tank that recieve less light. If you can find a fixture that doesn't rest on the hood but suspends above it I think you could cure that problem.

So there may be no "perfect" solution. I am thinking of doing a DIY hood using 2 18" bulbs, and just have them overlap in the middle. Then I could over-drive them and get some decent light.

Back
Top Bottom