Long plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys I want to put some like long looking grass stuff all thru my tank so it sorta has a jungle look like sorta viney :) and then I'm just gonna cover my driftwood in moss and maybe a few more little plants to add colour could someone please show me some pics or even just the names of some plants :)

What type of lighting and bulbs do you have? Lighting determines the type of plants you can use. Also what substrate do you have?

Iv got 2 t5ho bulbs and about 2inches of gravel and an inch of sand on top just because I like the look of it the bulbs are the 10000k white and a red grow bulb

Sounds like maybe you could do some Saggitarius or Vallisneria! Both are rather "grassy" and can have large leafs!

Ill have a look at them now :) I might look at getting a co2 system down the track they are about $145 complete

Thanks for all the suggestions :) are these plants root feeders or do they need supplements in the water

Personally, I would not recommend Jungle Vals unless you tank is at least 4 feet deep. Some types will grow to over 5 feet, and they look terrible when trimmed.. There are a number of Vals that grow to 2 feet or less, such as V. spiralis which will do well in a tank at least 18" deep. They will also grow in plain gravel.

How often do you put root tabs in?

Depends on which ones you are using. If I use API tabs, I replace about every 2 months or so - sooner if the rooted plants look as if they need a boost.

Flourish tabs seem a bit chunkier to me, and don't feel as if they start dissolving as quickly, so they may go a bit longer. That package says replace every 3-4 months, but again, if the plants look as if they need a boost, I'd replace more often.

Back
Top Bottom