Low light Ground cover over gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman731

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was looking into making a "carpet" of some sort of moss or "grass". I was wondering if you can do this over gravel? Would this just trap more stuff in and cause more nitrate problems putting this over gravel? Do you still gravel vac your ground cover? And what ground cover works best with low light and liquid frets ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would try a low light carpet over gravel with willow moss, taiwan moss, or dwarf sag. You can most certainly make a carpet over gravel. People don't usually vacuum over their carpets or plants because it may disturb their roots or carpet.

So what kind of maintenance do I need to do then? Won't the gravel trap a lot of nitrates and food and stuff under it still?

They require almost no maintenance. Dwarf Sag may or may not need some root tabs. But the moss is very easy to take care of. The plants will usually absorb the nitrates and any food/waste is usually also taken in by the plants. You can skim over the top of the plants and do a light vacuum if you wish.

Well of the above listed is there any type that stays short-er in the low light setting? I would like some thing that is pretty straight and vertical like an actual lawn not kinda crazy and sporadic like java moss supposedly is

I have two T5 14w and 1 17w t8 but it's about 24" deep so idk what the PAR is at the substrate level and I only dose liquid fert excel and flourish no co2 or extra iron or anything but I do throw in root tabs

And it's a 28 so it's not even 2 WPG""

Back
Top Bottom