Low-Light Planted 3 Gallon Shrimp/Snail Tank.. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Albiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an empty cycled 3 gallon tank and want to stock it with Red Cherry Shrimp, Nerite Snails and low light plants, as I don't actually have a light for the tank (except of course from the lightbulb in the room!).
However I have no experience with shrimp, snails or live plants. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Tank stats:
- Elite Stingray 10 Filter
- No heater, but water is always between 20-22°C
- White gravel
- Ammonia, nitrites: 0
- Nitrates: 20

Thanks, Dan : )

If you want low light aquatic plants, you need to have at least a light hood with a "Daylight" CFL (compact flourescent light) with the color temperature of at least 6500-10000K for the plants to thrive.

If looks are not a big concern, one of those shiny metal clip on lights will work great, with a CFL bulb in it (between 6500k and 10,000k).

He is on track with the lighting... we discussed in that other thread I linked. He settled on a CFL desk lamp.

Update.

I just thought I'd let those of you who are interested know what was going on with my tank:)

Its been up and running for about 1 month now.
All details are below:

Volume: 3 gallons (12"l x 8"w x 8"d)
Temperature: 20°C
Parameters: Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 15 (API Freshwater Master Test Kit used)
Filter: Hagen Elite Stingray 10
Light: Arcadia 9Watt 'Arc Pod'
Substrate: PetsAtHome fine black gravel
Decorations: 1 x Medium sized rock, 1 x Small sized rock, 1 x Small sized shell, 3 x Small sized terra-cotta plant pots
Live Plants: 2 x Bunches of Ludwigia Repens, 6 x Corkscrew Vallisneria (2 have sprouted runners)
Fish: 3 x Mosquito Rasbora (boraras brigittae)
Invertebrates: ~25 x Red Cherry Shrimp (neocaradina heteropoda), 2 x Nerite Snails - 1 Zebra, 1 Red Spotted(?) (neritina natalensis), 2 x Pond Snails (probably more that I havent found yet)

And that I think, is it. Any comments welcome:)

Dan:)

really sorry, i cant get pictures today! :'(
i suppose it doesnt help that my camera is rubbish and my phone is even worse! haha:)

Dan:D

Back
Top Bottom