Low lighting plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N8sobes1216

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. The LED lights that I have on my 20Gallon say that they can support low lighting plants. Is this just ferns and moss?? Also, before I switch over to live plants, I want to change my substrate. Would sand be better for plants or gravel?? Thank you

Planted tank substrate would be a better choice than sand. Though san will work but additional attention needs to be given for fertilizers since sand is inert - no nutrients for the plants.

You have a size of tank which a 20# bag of Eco-Complete, a common selection for planted tanks, would be a good AND you do not need to rinse it.

If you are considering any fish which enjoy digging /rooting into the substrate, you may want to find a different type. I have Cories in Eco-Complete and they do fine, though I wonder if sandy loose type might be enjoyed more for them, so when I move my tank 72G, I plan to add a rounded area of sand so they can play in it if that makes them happy.

Some substrates are "round" pellets of fired clay/ceramic type material and are actually light and kinda fluffy feeling. I have these in my shrimp tank and they are nice. Like Up Aqua Aquasand.

Some kinds like Amazonia can leech ammonia for weeks and needs to be cycled before critters are added.

Sand is better than gravel imho because food particles fall into gravel and just rot there. Sand type will stay put and food and waste sits on top so it is easily vac'd up or caught in the filter.

CaribSea has Supernaturals sand varieties with different size grains and colors. Some have added live bacteria liquid and require no rinsing. :)

Anubias of all size & shape leaves from Micro to Barteri varieties are awesome.

Some kinds of Cryps will be fine too.

Another option you could go with is getting a small bag of organic potting soil (it must say organic on the bag). Do a half inch of soil then top it with a half inch to an inch of gravel. The soil provides a lot of nutrients for a long time. Java Fern, Anubias, crypts, penny wort, bacopa, rotala, guppy grass, banana plant are all possible plants you could grow in low light

Back
Top Bottom