Making a co2 system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chess46

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there anyway to make a co2 system? I am wanting to get a few plants. Mostly java moss.

Thank you so much for the link. I am going to be upgrading my lighting to two 6700 t5's would that be enough light to have to have a co2 system?

Any planted tank, low or high light, benefits from CO2. Most people just don't do it because it's not strictly needed for algae control.

And there is naturally occurring Co2 in the water column. Folks who jump into a Co2 system, DIY or not run the risk of destroying a fish population because they haven't done the research and don't know why or if a co2 system is truly needed. I think the OP isn't the only one who would benefit from reading that article.

FastFly67 said:
And there is naturally occurring Co2 in the water column. Folks who jump into a Co2 system, DIY or not run the risk of destroying a fish population because they haven't done the research and don't know why or if a co2 system is truly needed. I think the OP isn't the only one who would benefit from reading that article.

So, if im geting this straight, if you have a low/medium light tank and dose liquid ferts and your plants are doing well for the most part, a diy co2 will just put your fish in jeoprady??

Great article btw whoever posted it!!

No, I would not say that is the case.

The risk of running a DIY CO2 system is minimal if younderstand what you are doing. The benefits far outweigh the risks imo.

fort384 said:
No, I would not say that is the case.

The risk of running a DIY CO2 system is minimal if younderstand what you are doing. The benefits far outweigh the risks imo.

Ok, well what are some things that could go wrong while doing this build? I would love to do this for my 40 gallon low light tank, but dont want to kill my fish by stupid mistakes, and i want to make sure my plants would benefit

I wouldn't suggest a DIY CO2 system for a 40g tank. It is possible, but imo keeping the CO2 levels high enough and keeping them from fluctuating gets difficult with a tank that big... which can lead to increased algae breakouts. If you still want to go that route, you just need to make sure you are measuring your CO2 concentration in the water by either using a drop checker or the KH/pH method. The chances of over-dosing a 40g tank with a DIY system are pretty low.

On a 40, I would go with a pressurized system, which unfortunately is going to run somewhere in the neighborhood of $100-140.

Ohh so this is really only recommended for 20 gallon tanks and below really? I thought i read of someone doing it for a 75 with nothing different

Certainly you could do it on a 75. A 29 is about the biggest I would go. The problem is, as you get bigger, the more reactors you need, which means the more mixes you have to change, etc. On a 40 gal, you would need probably a minimum of 3 2L bottles to keep your CO2 concentration above 20ppm or so... and really I like to drive a tank at about 30ppm. The problem is, if you don't maintain above 20, it can actually cause more problems than adding CO2 helps you solve - BBA loves to grow in an environment with unstable CO2 below 20ppm, but above that of normal equilibrium with the air (that you get without co2 injection).

fort384 said:
Certainly you could do it on a 75. A 29 is about the biggest I would go. The problem is, as you get bigger, the more reactors you need, which means the more mixes you have to change, etc. On a 40 gal, you would need probably a minimum of 3 2L bottles to keep your CO2 concentration above 20ppm or so... and really I like to drive a tank at about 30ppm. The problem is, if you don't maintain above 20, it can actually cause more problems than adding CO2 helps you solve - BBA loves to grow in an environment with unstable CO2 below 20ppm, but above that of normal equilibrium with the air (that you get without co2 injection).

Oh so on a 75 you would need 6-7 bottles? That isnt too easy! Could it also stress fish with unstable levels? How do you test the ppm? Last question, do you have diy co2 on a 40? Haha thanks:)

Not sure how many bottles they used. If it was only 2, I doubt they ever reached (or if they did reach, then they didn't consistently maintain) 20+ppm CO2.

fort384 said:
Not sure how many bottles they used. If it was only 2, I doubt they ever reached (or if they did reach, then they didn't consistently maintain) 20+ppm CO2.

Ya thats what i was thinking..the second poster said somthing about 2, but said nothing about ppm. He said she would get SOME, but he didnt specify.

I would put the risk of gassing your fish with DIY CO2 on a tank greater than 29G slim to none, unless you're going overboard.

Back
Top Bottom