Media in canister filters & plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just inherited a brand new canister filter. It's an Aquatop CF-300 and exchanges 264 gals per hr. I have a 36 gal planted tank. I know that there are additional media that you can place in the chambers and I was wondering if any type of additional media, like the biological ceramic cylinders or carbon are good or bad for the plants? My fish are all good and water parameters are perfect, so I'm not worried about them, but I don't want to deplete any nutrients from the water by using additional unnecessary filtration stuff.
Thanks for your help-D

You should use the ceramic media, but the carbon would not be beneficial to the filtration. I would run filter floss in the place of the carbon because the floss will make the water really clear, just be sure to not overdo the floss and restrict the flow too much.

Purigen works wonders, keeps water crystal clear. Mine goes through sponges>bio rings>filter floss>purigen. Works great! :)

Oh yes, I have some purigen! I had a piece of driftwood that put a bunch of tannins in my water and that stuff cleared up the water instantly! Thanks, everything you said was what I was going to put in my filter. D

Back
Top Bottom