moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajaguilar

Aquarium Advice Regular
I picked up some moss growing along a creek in iowa 5 months ago. as it grew it looked just like java moss and i kinda assume at the time it was the same stuff. Now that i have down a little research i think it must be some other moss. Am I right that java moss doesn't grow wild in iowa?

No it doesn't. but it could be released by a hobbyist. Also, it could be willow moss or another native moss. A pic is always welcome to help identify.

It's most likely just some wild moss. Java moss originates from Asia (From the island of Java, duh! lol), so I don't think that is real Java Moss. A picture would help us give accurate answers though.

I dunno if I would bring that moss into an aquarium, because even if it is true Java moss, who knows what parasites have made it their home...

I will try and get a good picture of it. Jetajockey I looked up the willow moss (Fontinalis antipyretica, Common Water Moss) that certainly does look like it and is found in iowa. Thanks for the info.
As for QT, my tank has insects, arthropods, you name it so I am not to concern about hitch hikers.
yeah phoenixkiller my roommate in college was from java. hehe

img_1952882_0_11b42ab99546ad49ba1740aca7b5d6b9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom