Name that Buffer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok i am putting this in the planted forum because it deals with a planted tank... if this is the wrong place then feel free to move it, just let me know where you put it ;)

Stats
10 gallon planted tank
Eco-Compleat Substrate
Dosing KNO3, KSO4, KH2PO4 and CSM+B by to the EI method
Ceramic Cave, Ceramic Easter Island Head Cave, Terra Cotta Cave decorations
DIY CO2
Fist Size ball of Pat Moss in the Filter (know it is doing something cause water has slight yellow color...

List of Plants
Stargrass: Heteranthera zosterifolia
1 Amazon Sword: Echinodorus amazonicus
1 Ozelot Sword: Echinodorus x. 'Ozelot'
2 Oriental Sword Echinodorus macrophyllus
Limnophila aquatica
Hygrophila polysperma v. Sunset

List of Animals
Pair Apistogramma nijsseni
6 Neon Tetra: Paracheirodon innesi
2 Oto: Otocinclus mariae
Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Water From the Tap
PH= 8.0
KH= 13 degrees
GH = 21 degrees

After 1 50% PWC and 3 25% PWC using only RO water!
PH=~7.4
KH = 6 degrees
GH = 9 degrees

those just do not add up in my to me, what could be buffering the water?

now the RO is from the grocery store (re-fillable gallon jugs) so i am assuming there machine is working...it test 0 KH/GH and 7.0 PH just as would be expected :?

Picture of the tank
img_771475_0_8e0e420ecd6eaf5c70b4031bd665fd86.jpg

maxwell1295 said:
Maybe the rocks?
the ceramic caves..that is possible, but assumed since they are manufactured for aquarium use they should be inert... :roll: but it is possible

The numbers to not actually seem that out of whack. Perhaps also consider test variance.
If you suspect somethingis adding buffer, then...without water changes, the Kh should slowly rise over time.
Place the suspect item - cave, gravel, rock etc in a bucket of pure RO/DI or Distilled water and see if that raises the Kh. RO water should not have a Ph of 7 btw, but a Ph of 6 or less, the readings from the store water are already suspect from that alone.

Zezmo said:
The numbers to not actually seem that out of whack. Perhaps also consider test variance.
If you suspect somethingis adding buffer, then...without water changes, the Kh should slowly rise over time.
Place the suspect item - cave, gravel, rock etc in a bucket of pure RO/DI or Distilled water and see if that raises the Kh. RO water should not have a Ph of 7 btw, but a Ph of 6 or less, the readings from the store water are already suspect from that alone.
you are going to have to explain that last statment, why would RO have a PH of 6 or less? pure water is 7.0 that is why 7.0 is neutral on the PH scale.

so you are saying the RO process actualy should be adding free H+ ions to the water??? turning it into a week acid?

Pure RO/DI water does have a true Ph of 7.0. Although, when exposed to atmosphere it should drop to about 5.5-6.0 due to absorbed atmospheric CO2, and the lack of buffers in the water. This is not true Ph drop, but the acidic effect of CO2. If using any common hobby grade Ph tester the resultant Ph should be in the acidic range for any ultra pure water. Unless the atmospheric CO2 is somehow purged.

Zezmo said:
Pure RO/DI water does have a true Ph of 7.0. Although, when exposed to atmosphere it should drop to about 5.5-6.0 due to absorbed atmospheric CO2, and the lack of buffers in the water. This is not true Ph drop, but the acidic effect of CO2. If using any common hobby grade Ph tester the resultant Ph should be in the acidic range for any ultra pure water. Unless the atmospheric CO2 is somehow purged.
ok that makes sence :D

well the RO i tested was in a bottle with a tight cap, i do not think there was mcu time of atmospheric CO2 to get into it... :?

Back
Top Bottom