Need some algae help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

olbustedhotness

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
been fighting this the last 2 months

Attachments

• 20150601_182555.jpg
    20150601_182555.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 20150601_182547.jpg
    20150601_182547.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 20150601_182526.jpg
    20150601_182526.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 75
Ouch! What's your water change schedule?

How good of flow do you have in the tank? Algae loves stagnant water.

I'd take a scrub brush to the rocks. Yucky! I leave some on my rocks for the snails and Otos but that is much much more...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It looks like a bad case of Cyanobacteria (BGA, blue green algae). I would pickup some erythromycin from the lfs or big box store and treat the tank. You should be able to remove a good deal of it via siphoning during the next water change (before you start treating).

It looks like a bad case of Cyanobacteria (BGA, blue green algae). I would pickup some erythromycin from the lfs or big box store and treat the tank. You should be able to remove a good deal of it via siphoning during the next water change (before you start treating).

Agreed!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I water change once a weeks about 5 gallons.
beside the filter(penguin 350)... i don't have any other follow
ill going to pull out some of the rock today a clean...i have tried to siphoning the stuff off of the plants and i even pull the plants out and clean them off then put them back in

If the stuff does not come off easily, then there's probably some type of green algae mixed in there as well.

Increased water changes might help balance out the tank. This sounds like a lighting or nutrient problem.

i have 2 6500k cfl bubs that hang above the tank bout 8 inches and i leave them on for 8 hours

As with Fresh and Brook, I agree it's most definetly BGA. It's a photosynthetic bacteria. I'd go with the erythromycin treatment as suggested. I've also used h2o2 spot treating, this should help with the other green algae that's mixed in.

Back
Top Bottom