New Filter - AC 70 on 29 Gallon Tank - Too Big?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
The filter on my 29 gallon planted tank died on me last night, I'm not sure why, I turned it off while cleaning my tank and when I went to turn it back on, there was nothing.

I called my husband and asked him to pick up one on the way home, which he did but it's a little big, it's an Aqua Clear 70. Actually it did a fantastic job of clearing the water but I'm concerned that it may be too big for my 29 gallon tank.

Thoughts or advice?

I don't think it's too big. It'll turn your tank over about 10x per hour. Then again, I have a Penquin 350 on my 30gal tank.

You know; I think there is someone on here that doubles up her filtration because she wants crystal clear water. I can't remember who told me that, though.
I'm willing to bet it will be fine. Now if you had the 70 on a 10 gallon tank . . . that would probably be different.
What kind of fish have you got in there?

That filter will be fine on your tank. A bigger filter gives you a bigger bio media space so it is actually better. If it is giving you to much current you can just turn it down. Was your old filter a AC as well? If it was the impellor can seize with gunk once you turn it off. It won't start again until you clean it. Re-move the motor from the base of the filter, twist it off, and the impellor pulls out easily. Clean it off and clean the cavity it came from and it will start right up again, just make sure it has some water in it before you plug it in. If it's not an AC filter, disregard this advice!

Oh this is great news, I was worried that it might turn my tank into a washing machine. Actually I think it's going to keep my tank very clear and I like that.

Glen, yes the one that just went out on me is an Aqua Clear and only a few months old. I will try cleaning it out and see what happens, it would be good to have a spare anyway.

Many thanks to everyone for their help!

Linda

Back
Top Bottom