Newbie question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishGirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got plants for my tank two days ago. I am doing a water change today for the first time with them in there.
I have a sandy substrate.
Do I remove my plants to do it? What do I do about the root tabs in the sand? You're supposed to disturb the top of your sand bed aren't you?

No, don't remove the plants. If you want to gently vac any poo by hovering above the sand, you can, but it's not absolutely needed. Do your best not to disturb the substrate, especially close to the plants.

Leave the plants in and just lightly swish the water near the substrate with your hand or net. Hold the gravel vac in the other hand above the substrate and suction up what is floating. The sand needs to be poked with a stick or something to release trapped gas. Just take something like a wooden dowel and push it in and out of the sand going all over the tank. Do this a couple of times a week or so. Be careful around the plants and do not poke to close to them.

Back
Top Bottom