OH NO My beautiful swords!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is this the 20gal with the bushynose? That would be my first guess, that he is rasping the leaves. If you think that might be the case then try more regular feeding with sinking algae wafers and zuchinni.

If not, then a nutrient deficiency like potassium will create pinholes in leaves.

I can't really comment until I know tank size, lighting type & wattage, CO2 levels, and nutrient levels (nitrate, phosphate).

And if you can share your dosing schedule, that'll help too.

Ok.... Its a 20 gallon, with about 2 inches of very small natural gravel, and the light is a florescent one that came with the tank. Its about a year old now. I wasnt sure if it was a lighting problem or fish or something. The leaves are green but they are very thin and look like mesh. And yes its the tank with the bushynose. If its lights, what do you suggest I replace it with? Oh I use a weekly liquid fertilizer called Leaf Zone.

20gallon tank, 18watt bulb. You have less than 1wpg. For swords, I suggest a minimum of 1.5wpg to keep them healthy...2+wpg if you want them to grow like they are supposed to.
Swords need a nutrient rich substrate, so whatever route you take, get some root tabs and put a couple near the base of the sword plant.

WOW! I didnt know it was that bad of lighting. The plants have all been fine until about a month ago, when they started thinning.

I have about 6 or 7 large swords and 1 small sword, and I break them in half when they get too thick. In my other tank I have 4 swords. All of these swords came from 2 swords I bought about a year ago.

As soon as all this ice melts around here I'm going to get a new lightbulb.

Thank you all very much.

Back
Top Bottom