Outdoor dirt tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bcuzimbatman

Aquarium Advice Regular
Set up a 10gal tank with some standard topsoil and put some of my remaining hairgrass in it and left it outside in the sunlight. Now it's starting to spread and I am very interested in how it's working. I would like to once it spreads enough, bring it inside and flood it and use it as a new heavily planted fishtank. Any advice on how to do this? And also I haven't capped it. Is that neccessary?

If you don't cap a dirted tank inside you are going to have a mess with dirt being stirred up in the water column.

Don't really think you can unless you use sand and then all you could do is lightly sprinkle sand over it and let the sand settle down inbetween the blades. I would suggest you cap the rest of the tank area not planted now. Another thing, do you have a piece of screen or something over the tank top? If it's just sitting there open you are going to get mesquito larvae and any number of other water layers (dragonflies, mayflies, etc.) depositing eggs in there and when hatched you could have various nymphs in the tank too.

Capped with fluorite. And the tank is pretty much Dry start. It's only filled to the top of the soil. Is it recommended I flood the tank when ready the same way I would with a DSM?

I have noticed some ants coming in and out of the tank. What should I do about this?

Believe it or not, get a full container of salt, just plain table salt and literally pour it completely in an unbroken line around the tank making sure to have the salt right up to the tank bottom. Ants can't/won't cross salt, it dries their bodies out and kills them.

cool! my place is like surrounded by fire ants. cant step out for 10 mins w/o getting bit. i shall try salt too

cool! my place is like surrounded by fire ants. cant step out for 10 mins w/o getting bit. i shall try salt too

I don't think they make enough salt for that! My friend used to use the salt trick to keep ants out of her cats food dishes outside.

Back
Top Bottom