Oxygen situation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenterrortigeroscar

Aquarium Advice Regular
M thinking about getting a tank and placing it in the living room which is right next to my parents bedroom. This means that the air pump will irritate them, so I would like to know if java fern and anubias will be able to aerate the tank as much as an air pump. The tank size I'm thinking about id maybe 15-30 gallons.

To answer your question... No. The plants will not equal an air pump.

I'm assuming you will have a filter... Drop the water level a bit on the tank to create some surface agitation

I'd say it depends on the depth of the tank and strength of the filter. A tank that isn't too deep with an oversized filter you may be able to wiggle by

There are lots of quiet pumps around. I have my tank in my room and sleep fine with a pump running

What I do with mine is get I it to stay on a rag and it doesn't ever make noise. Helps if it has rubber stoppers on the bottom!

I use a tetra whisper. not much quieter than a regular pump but adding the rag underneath really makes it quiet

Just for clarification, air pumps don't really aerate a tank that much anyhow. They are optional in most setups if you already have a filter going.

I've had good luck with Fusion pumps, whispers, and top fins, the key (as mentioned already) is to have some kind of noise dampener under it.

i've had multiple air pumps of different brands over the years and every time i just put them on an old rag or wash cloth. i sleep fine with my tank next to my bed.

If I kept the water level below the filter, the water would become aerated enough with some plants, right?

im not sure but i would not take the chance. i had no air pump in a loach river tank and hoped that the water movement and plants would b enough and it was until dead plant crap tore off and clogged the sponge over the intake. i lost 5 large clown loaches. my point is dont take the chance just put your air pump on a rag.

cant you get away with putting a power head pointing up at the surface to get the surface to stir around

Back
Top Bottom