PC light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dominick

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok i saw a thread in here not to long ago dont know where it got to
but someone had said that 1 watt of PC was actually equal to like 1.3 or something is that right?

also when trying to figure out how much WPG you have should you divide it by actual Gal of the tank or by how many gal is actually water meaning gravel does take away from overall depth lighting

Ok i saw a thread in here not to long ago dont know where it got to
but someone had said that 1 watt of PC was actually equal to like 1.3 or something is that right?
Yeah. You could say 1w of PC is like 1.35w NO T12, the old standard for watts. That thread, Wizzard~Of~Ozz's article, survey, and calculators are linked in the Lighting sticky, by the way.
also when trying to figure out how much WPG you have should you divide it by actual Gal of the tank or by how many gal is actually water meaning gravel does take away from overall depth lighting
Almost everyone uses manufacturer's stated gallons, so you should too for comparing/searching set-ups. Nothing wrong with subtracting substrate from the height or gallons for your purposes if you want to though.

ok so is 6.48 Watts per Gal considered very high light?
mean can i grow plants that need very high light?
also what would this amount of light do to plants that are suitable for low light tanks?

6.48 WPG may or may not be considered high light. It depends on the size of the tank. On some really small tanks this would only be medium light.

Most lower light plants will grow just fine in higher light situations. You can use them to fill in shadier spots and will likely get better growth out of them. The reason that they are low light plants is that they can be grown in low light, not that they must be grown in low light. Some like Anubias will be more prone to algae in higher light situations unless you provide them with some shade.

Back
Top Bottom