pellia help??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amilasiu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so i bought some pellia from floridadriftwood.com... can't grow riccia - not yet at that level of sophistication :roll: my understanding was that i just let pellia sink then it would establish itself at the bottom....

so far most of my pellia seems to be infested with fungus although some strands look ok. any suggestions, advice, experience in growing nice pellia?

The Tropica Plants list says,
"Monosolenium tenerum is an attractive liverwort, which looks most like a giant Riccia that simply stays at the bottom, where it forms cushions. It is a brittle plant, and pieces break off easily, so it is best to place it in the aquarium attached to stones with fishing line or in small clumps among other plants such as Eleocharis. Once M. tenerum has established itself, it is very undemanding. This plant is mistakenly known as Pellia."
http://192.38.244.204/go.asp?show=products

I dont think you were in mistaking with the name because floridadirftwood gives both names...

It sounds like it might need a little help with the establishing itself part. HTH

I have never kept M. tenerum (aka Pellia) before but it sounds very similar to Riccia in its needs. Try using a hairnet to attach some of it to a rock (snug the hairnet down tight) and then let it grow and see what happens. PiscesGirl here on AA may be one the best authorities on growing Pellia on objects that I know of (I think she grew it on some weird fish tank ornament once :p ). I'll see if I can get her to comment :D

One does need to use something to secure the Pelia, but only very lightly -- so some light thread would work. Pelia has large leaves, so the hairnets aren't good for it like riccia. Pelia doesn't grow as well if it is left loose in the tank.

I merely threaded it into a fake plastic ambulia plant on a cave decoration (ok Travis -- it wasn't that weird!), and it took off covering the decoration. In fact, I have trouble keeping it in check now.

Are you using Co2? Despite the fact that people say it does not need co2, I would disagree with that assessment.

PG has trouble keeping most of her plants in 'check', so don't assume that what she does with little effort can be easily duplicated. Take her advice, and then when it doesn't turn out to be as easy for you as it was for her, ask her again and she will likely figure out what you're doing wrong :p

thanks, all.

i'm using one of those liquid carbon thingamajigs - my tank's too small to justify some bigger co2 contraption.

But that's true: only those pellia pieces that were left laying around on the gravel are fungus-full, none of the leaves that got accidentally weighted with gravel bits are infested. will see what happens.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom