Ph rise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raymond.1963

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i started to put co2 into my planted tank 3 weeks ago by the sugar and yeast method on my weekly check my ph has rose to 8.6 it had been at a stable 7.4 would this be caused by the co2 my plants are doing great sorry dont know types i am new to plants:fish1:

It sounds as though the buffering your tank had is going bye bye as CO2 generally makes the ph fall. What is your water change schedule? Any idea on your GH/KH levels and that of the water you change with?

dont know gh/kh i have 80lL tank and change roughly 7L every 3 days when i hoover my sand how do i check changed 14L this morning will do my ph amm ni nitra again in the morning should i turn off the co2

dont know gh/kh i have 80lL tank and change roughly 7L every 3 days when i hoover my sand how do i check changed 14L this morning will do my ph amm ni nitra again in the morning should i turn off the co2

I wouldn't get too excited yet as long as your fish are looking ok. Run a ph check on your change water too so we know what you are putting in.

Planted tanks with good plant growth and soft water (little buffering) can see some pretty big ph swings.

My general advice would be to stick with the larger (14L) water changes for bit and see if it stabilizes as long as you are not seeing any fish distress, which I don't think you will.. a bit alkaline (8.6) is not that big a deal.

Edited to add: Stable ph is more important than a specific value in most cases, although most plants do better in lower ph conditions.

Last edited:
everything in the tank looks realy good i will monitor and do my checks and changes thanks

A pH increase would not be caused by CO2. Something else must be mucking with your water chemistry.

Back
Top Bottom