Plant trimming tips needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Hi, still have plant problems however they are growing better than before BC (before co2). Lights are still the same box multicolour LEDs.

I'm getting to the stage where the giant hygro is reaching the top of the tank (2.5ft). Previously I've just been cutting tops off anywhere that looked good and replanting to thicken the background area.

Is there an ideal point to trim plants? Should I just nick the top off to see if it thickens up or cut it about a foot up and let it regrow? Is there an ideal method of trimming plants?

I still have an algae problem. Less bba I believe but still on stems (really bad on original stems but tank-grown stems seem better) and some hair algae(?) on leaves. Plus curled leaves.

Dry dosing about 50ppm potassium each week. Haven't done a test for a bit. Phosphate steady at 2ppm or slightly above. Nitrates down to 5ppm so looking into dry ferts dosing there.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433596045.134468.jpg

I usually trim off a big enough piece of my stem plants that it will be easy to plant the top.

Also be sure to cut above the level of healthy leaves as more shoots will develop from the cut off bottom.

Hi, thanks for the reply Mebbid. I'll try doing that. I think I'm almost doing that now but very ad hoc and wondered what others did. I should be happy - it's taken a long time in this large tank to get there :)

Trim to just below the height you want to keep the plant. That will give your cut stem some room to grow and allow you a long enough topper to replant. Good luck and looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Update: trimmed plants today. Went about a foot down. Below that not many leaves and other problems with algae on stem. Replanted about 6 off-cuts. Hoping that I can get the stem plants thick enough that algae is discouraged near base of tank.

Also got rid of most of the foxtail. The stuff was growing a little too well...

Back
Top Bottom