Planted tank advice needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tate

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20 gallon long tank with a 34 watt dual t8 bulb fixture from Lowes with two 6500k bulbs. I plan on setting up a day co2 system. Any tips on this as this is totally new to me. I plan on having one bottle which runs into this 3in1 aquatek bubble counter/check valve/diffuser I found. I have crypts and compacta for now as I want to get used to plants before I totally dive into them. I am putting api root tabs only under the crypts not the compacta. I put cardboard in front of the lights to reflect some into the tank and it seems to work. I will probably eventually hang up the light but I fear for major light loss. This is my current aquascape. Sorry for my long post.

I want to grow hairgrass so I think co2 will aid in the growth as I only have low lights

I basically followed the instructions in this YouTube video with some minor modifications. I used a ceramic diffuser instead and a fluval bubble counter. But the hagen mini elite he made mods to seems like an efficient way to diffuse DIY CO2, since it's a low pressure system.

The best DIY Aquarium Co2 System with bubble coun…: http://youtu.be/xHS6yEDPKSU

Here's the recipe I use:
http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2006/09/diy-co2-recipe-duration-vs-intensity.html?m=1

Tips: take extra care to drill a hole just right for the tubing outer diameter. Seal with silicone and tape. Otherwise you may have a leak and it's super frustrating to track the leak down to the point you'll just want to give up and buy a pressurized system.

Thanks for the video I will get to watching it for sure. How does the aquatek 3-in-1 fair? Worth buying?

I actually watched that same video earlier today. I was thinking with the 3-in-1 I wouldn't have to make the second bubble counter jar would I?

Probably not. Just as long as you have a bubble counter so it acts as a "gas separator" to help prevent yeast seepage.

Back
Top Bottom