plants???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish-4-life

Aquarium Advice Activist
46 gallon. these fish:

8 Cardinal tetras
1 Pearl gourami
7 Cherry barbs
8 Cories
2 cockatoo cichlids
2 german blue rams
5 rummy nose tetras

now to decide which plants. i am completely new to live plants so any info on how to care for plants would be nice too! thnx

i swim said:
46 gallon. these fish:

8 Cardinal tetras
1 Pearl gourami
7 Cherry barbs
8 Cories
2 cockatoo cichlids
2 german blue rams
5 rummy nose tetras

now to decide which plants. i am completely new to live plants so any info on how to care for plants would be nice too! thnx

Well...depends on the plants. Were you looking to go low-tech, high-tech or somewhere in between? What is your lighting?

Go to plantgeek.net and do your research. I would just stick to low light plants. Many to choose from so just go to site do some research and decide which ones you want

but what about lighting? how do i know which light for my tank hood?

Look for 1 that is for the measurements of your tank. There many options for lights it all depends how much you want to spend

From doing my research and from other members' inputs Marineland LEDS aren't very good for plants or corals for that matter...you could try Marineland lights for corals but they're 130$....

If you can afford to go with the proper LED's they are undoubtedly the future of aquarium lighting. You may have to put up a little more money in the beginning, but they'll pay for the difference in a few months through energy costs. You can find all kinds of articles on planted tanks all over the web. But basically a great starter is to get medium lights, some kind of substrate ranging anywhere from top soil to ADA aquasoil. I like floromax a lot, it's the perfect grain size without the markup of some of the other brands.(ADA aquasoil for instance tends to be overpriced, but is definitely considered a slightly higher quality)

After that just look for some medium-low light plants and learn as you go. It's easy to forget that a lot of this hobby tends to be guided trial and error!

how often do i have to replace bulbs? and do i have to buy bulbs online?

Some people say every six months - year, many people people probably leave them in longer, which is a quality trade off.(Another reason LED's are the future of lighting.)

No.

Entirely up to you, just look around for all kinds of plants and look at their requirements. I think there's a thread with a lot of plant profiles in the "profiles" forum, definitely check it out.

Back
Top Bottom