Plants dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrice

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 2 plants in aquarium, peacock moss (ebay)and dwarf hairgrass, all dying fast, turning brown. I don't get it. Every thing look good, and it suppose to be easy plants.what to do?

spec: TEMP = 24c/75f
KH = 40ppm
PH = 6.5
LIGHT = 2x 6700k (i have 2 more if needed) 8 h a day
Co2 added yesterday (very simple concept) added night and day
SUBSTRATE = flourite dark
SUPP = flourish ( haft a cap) 30 gallon

nitrite and nitrate = high
NO FISH IN AQUARIUM
doing cycling

hummm don't know what they where, it say T5 39w 6700k, have 3 of them one of them has no info, has a light pink color.

so probably T5 and i have as 30 gallon

edit = pic of aquarium http://cdn.aquariumadvice.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41841&d=1309154181

Ok ... the issue isn't too little light ... I'm wondering if it's ironically too much light? T5 are a higher output bulb ... I'd say wait (just a matter of time) for a more experience member to advise.
Certain Plants can be tricky and I don't have either to comment on.

The pink color bulb sound like a floramax ... plant growth bulb. The pink tends to be a mixture of the blue and red peaks the bulb emits.

The plants that are dying - are they in that picture? If so, some questions:

1. Where are the fish?

2. What substrate are you using? If it's just regular gravel - do you have fertilizers that you use?

3. How long has this tank be established?

Having too much light tends to cause plants to grow abnormally, not necessarily to just turn brown.

Your Plants

Hello Patrice...

Just an opinion, but your water is acidic and mosses are low light plants. The hair grass prefers a sandy substrate and lots of ferts. If you're wanting these plants to thrive, then I'd start by working on these requirements.

Again, just one reporter's opinion.

B

Also, CO2 injection into the aquarium should only occur during the hours that the lights are on. Plants do not use CO2 at night, and they actually produce CO2 during the night.

Your plants may actually be suffocating during the night because of too much CO2.

The plants that are dying - are they in that picture? If so, some questions:

1. Where are the fish?
2. What substrate are you using? If it's just regular gravel - do you have fertilizers that you use?
3. How long has this tank be established?

read the first post its all there,

That pic was just for the lighting. They aquarium been establish for 9 weeks

I forgot to say this but they where dying before the co2 i added yesterday, and the ph was 7 at that time. Becose of the co2 now its 6.3. Im going to remove the co2 now at night but i don't know if this it's enuf.

Here are the pic. Sorry i could not add pic to the first post. Did not know how

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110809_163115.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110809_163115.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 69
  • ForumRunner_20110809_163133.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110809_163133.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 87
  • ForumRunner_20110809_163252.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110809_163252.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 87
My have my Co2 on 24/7 and haven't encountered any problems.

Also, CO2 injection into the aquarium should only occur during the hours that the lights are on. Plants do not use CO2 at night, and they actually produce CO2 during the night.

Your plants may actually be suffocating during the night because of too much CO2.

ok done, I will make the change. but i don't think that's what is causing it because i just started using it the day before.

Patrice said:
what do you mean dosing the water column? if its for diffusing the co2 im using a powerhead.

Plants don't live off of just carbon dioxide and light. They also need nutrients like nitrogen, phosphate, potassium, boron, iron, nickel & zinc.

Plants don't live off of just carbon dioxide and light. They also need nutrients like nitrogen, phosphate, potassium, boron, iron, nickel & zinc.

Ok I do.
SUPP = flourish ( haft a cap) in the 30 gallons. is that ok.

There many planting products. I use api leafzone which contains iron and potassium, others use different. Just do your research before you buy something.

Back
Top Bottom