Plants to create short grass carpet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M1cky69

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys I'm trying to create q grass carpet in my 7.9 gallon fluval ebi shrimp tank but I'm stumped on what plants to use, I will be using compressed co2 So that's not a problem and I got an 11w light unit but am going to purchase a second to up the wpg. Here is a pic of what I got so far, I'm trying for a tree aquascape.

Attachments

• image-1074395258.jpg
    image-1074395258.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 222
  • image-3305667454.jpg
    image-3305667454.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 255
Would you not consider imitation grass? A lot easier and just as effective in a small tank imo?

dudeofrude said:
Would you not consider imitation grass? A lot easier and just as effective in a small tank imo?

Sorry im new to the fish scene, what sort do you mean? I would like as natural habitat as possible.

Dwarf hairgrass will give you the most grass-like appearance. Glosso will stay short if you have enough light, but it's more clover-like.

Small tanks like this one don't really follow the Wpg guidelines very well. You'll need more Wpg to attain the high-light tank needed for good carpeting.

BigJim said:
Dwarf hairgrass will give you the most grass-like appearance. Glosso will stay short if you have enough light, but it's more clover-like.

Small tanks like this one don't really follow the Wpg guidelines very well. You'll need more Wpg to attain the high-light tank needed for good carpeting.

Well I'll be doubling the light so I'll have 22w for 7.9 gallon. Would that be enough? I heard dwarf baby tears are good for most lighting too, this plant good for this? Thanks for the replies guys!

dudeofrude said:
I mean the fake plastic grass, I've addedgan example at the bottom. its cheap, looks ok and doesn't need any maintenance or tank alterations. Some people only want real grass but personally I think a good quality fake grass can look just as good.

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquariums/fluval/fluval-nano-aquariums/fluval-chi-aquariums/fluval-grass-ornament.html?ref=googlebase

Thanks that does look good but I really want a live plant to keep the shrimp and fish happy I'm torn between dwarf baby tears, java in a mesh or riccia

Well I ordered some mesh and netting today gonna use some java as a carpet as it don't need much lighting, siliconed my "tree" to the Perspex so getting there slowly but surely

M1cky69 said:
Well I ordered some mesh and netting today gonna use some java as a carpet as it don't need much lighting, siliconed my "tree" to the Perspex so getting there slowly but surely

This is what I'm doing as well. Flame moss as ground cover and java moss for the back glass wall. It'll take a while though. I read that moss plants acclimates to the new tank for 2-4weeks and during this time will turn yellowish but once acclimated it will start growing and will turn green again.

Attachments

• image-2689574046.jpg
    image-2689574046.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 469
M1cky69 said:
Pic of the result so far

Looks cool. Get some java or willow moss and it'll look like a tree :D.

Great suggestion from bigjim too, gonna keep it in mind for future projects.

Following.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Mr. Limpet said:
Looks cool. Get some java or willow moss and it'll look like a tree :D.

Great suggestion from bigjim too, gonna keep it in mind for future projects.

Following.

Is willow moss Xmas moss? As was gonna use some Xmas moss for the tree. It's a slow process but getting there, don't wanna rush this project.

Attachments

• image-392210819.jpg
    image-392210819.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 136
M1cky69 said:
Is willow moss Xmas moss? As was gonna use some Xmas moss for the tree. It's a slow process but getting there, don't wanna rush this project.

Not sure, but I think it's 2 differnt kinds. Search either one here and there's a thread about both. I can't post thread links from the AA app, sorry.

That looks great in your tank and yeah take your time, it'll show in the end.

I hope you keep the build in this thread, I'll be following for sure :D.

Ordered my mesh and netting so soon as that comes I can get the moss and start filling, exciting times :)

Mesh arrived today so going to start to cut it to shape for my moss carpet, just out of curiosity how long can moss stay out of water or packaged up for as so I know how quick to get the tree and ground done, cheers

"fish are friends, not food"

M1cky69 said:
Mesh arrived today so going to start to cut it to shape for my moss carpet, just out of curiosity how long can moss stay out of water or packaged up for as so I know how quick to get the tree and ground done, cheers

When I bought my java moss it was in a bag, no water for a couple hours and it's growing just fine (3 weeks) on a piece of DW now. If nothing else, I take tank water put it all in a clear tub and does just fine for as long as need be.

Mr. Limpet said:
When I bought my java moss it was in a bag, no water for a couple hours and it's growing just fine (3 weeks) on a piece of DW now. If nothing else, I take tank water put it all in a clear tub and does just fine for as long as need be.

I gotta ordering from the Internet as my LFS has only got what they call plants but I call rotten weeds lol, plus they don't even sell moss. Would the moss be ok in a container with tank water for a day or 2? Jus afraid of ordering it and setting it all up fo only find that the moss was dead or something

M1cky69 said:
I gotta ordering from the Internet as my LFS has only got what they call plants but I call rotten weeds lol, plus they don't even sell moss. Would the moss be ok in a container with tank water for a day or 2? Jus afraid of ordering it and setting it all up fo only find that the moss was dead or something

I keep extra plants in a clear tub and keep it near a sunny window or use a plant light. Pretty much everything grows in there, except when I try to save something that should've been tossed anyways lol. I just PWC a few cups with tank water every 3 days so it doesn't get stagnant. So your java moss IMHO should be just fine.

Yeah, I see that all the time, selling half dead plants at full price and like you I pass too ;).

It's not rocket science to see the plants ya selling are dead is it haha, well it's get a spare bulb setup over a container and order it then, cheers for the advice

Back
Top Bottom