Possible non-aquatic, ID? (Pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

musicman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I picked this plant up on a whim when choosing plants for my 5 gal. It wasn't labeled and the LSF can't identify it. I would like to know what it is. I have looked around online to try and identify it, but have had no luck.

It holds its shape out of water, had fairly tough leaves. With 2w per gal light it has put on some root growth and heigth, over the 4 weeks that I have had it. I've been using fertilizer tabs and seachem fourish. It looks healthy.

Its beautiful and hasn't appeared to be suffering submersed so I have kept it in there. It continues to slowly grow.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17921&stc=1&d=1237069457

Can anyone help ID this plant, It would be much appriciated. :D

Thanks.
- Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Hi Jim:

I'm not sure but it seems an Spatyphillum sp. It's a terrestrial tropical plant (not aquatic), but it can stand for several time into water with some conditions: good cicling and aireated water and high light. Many aquarists I know in Europe have tryed to keep this plant under water but at the end it dies. In some shops sellers show them like aquatic plants with no more info (they sell them like Echinodorus or other simmilar geni).

It looks like a Spathephyllum to me. If the plant is firm and the leaves can stay standing up perfectly if out of the water, it is probably a terrestrial plant.

It dosent behave like a aquatic plant, but it appears to be doing well for now. It has been growing about 1 cm each week. I am considering letting it grow up and out of the water. If it is a terrestrial plant, an immersed state may be a healthy alternative. Then I may see it flower.

If it does start to turn for the worse, I will put it in a pot.

Last edited:
I also agree that it is a Spathiphyllum sp., more commonly known (and seen) as a Peace Lily. The "growth" you're seeing is the plant's attempt to get its leaves out of the water. Terrestrially adapted plants can't get enough CO2 under water and will "reach" for the air as they can't compete for the limited dissolved CO2 with true aquatic plants.

I would suggest rescuing it to a pot and enjoying your new houseplant. I have a huge one and it just flowered. They are very hardy.

Ack! I removed the (Unidentified Plant) from the tank and planted it in a pot in some moist dirt from behind my house. Within hours it lost its perkiness and started becoming soft and droopy. When I awoke the next morning it looked like death. I am afraid that I have killed it.

Give it a little time....it has probably become a bit used to the submerged conditions and may need a bit of adjustment. Keep it well watered and see what happens for a few days before deciding to give up on it.

Never wrapped up this post. I watered the shriveled little thing for a couple of weeks. It never livened up. Taking it from an aquarium setting to a pot of dirt must have killed it. : (

Back
Top Bottom