PPS-Pro (dry ferts) - modified for low tech?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been dosing PPS-PRO in my high tech tanks based on the recommended dosage -- sometimes more, depending on the plant species' requirements (i.e. more micros and phosphates for red stem plants).

I've also been dosing my low tech (low light, no co2) tanks with the same solutions but a reduced rate... so this is what I'm unclear about. I've been just blindly guessing how much to dose in these tanks. Sometimes daily with very little doses.. or sporadically throughout the week. There's no problems but just wondering if there was a more precise methodology behind using dry ferts in low tech tanks?

Are there fish in this tank? If so, you can probably cut out phosphate and potassium, or at the very least dose once a week and let it be. You're not going to have the intense nutrient demand of a high-tech tank, so macros aren't as important to regularly dose. Some micros have a limited life span in-tank, so you'll need to dose that regularly, but Flourish will probably do that for you (or a home DIY mix of CSM+B).

For you: Yet Another Nutrient Calculator

There's a once weekly/low light EI system that would probably fit the bill nicely.

I have 3 Nano's and I dose them once weekly after the water change with the ferts in dry form using phosphates, potassium, and micro's along with daily dosing of Glut and it works out fine. I check my nitrate and phosphate levels which are right where I want them. In tanks that small it's impossible (or at least impossible for me) to get an exact dose. If I was really worried I'd use the gram scale to see how much I'm dosing for the 2- 6's and 1-12g but the plants are all doing well so honestly in the 12g I use roughly 1/4 of an 1/8th of a teaspoon and for the 2- 6g's I literally use a nice little pinch of each. How's those for measurements.

Hello to my AA friends. Hope you're all well and staying cool this summer. Brian, I have a small dosing eyedropper from our drugstore. The rubber bulb is quicker and easier than a syringe. It is marked in ML so well that I could dose 1/2 or even 1/4 ml doses if I wanted to. My 16g guppy tank is medium light/low tech with anubias, ferns, wisteria and two small swords. I just dose with the PPS-Pro method but alot less. It's my most trouble free tank. For months now I test right before the 7th day WC & my NO3 is 15 and PO4 is 2ppm. I do 50% WC. I dose 2 ml PO4 and 2 ML traces each day and the level is always the same on day 7. On your Nano you might try like 1/2 or 1 ml. That way you could dose your Nanos with the same PPS as your bigger tank(s).
Janis, is a pinch more or less than a smidgeon? LOL. OS.

You know OS-Brian there is somewhere in the cooking measurements that actually has the definition of pinch, bit, smidgeon, etc and if I remember right how much each was. I can't remember much about it but always thought it was really funny. All that said I'd as a pinch is less than a smidgeon... lol!

Thanks for the valuable input here. I'll look over so suggestions and explore them a little closer.

@aqua - yes, there's fish in these low tech planted tanks.

@OS - I use something similar.. I use those 3mL granulated pipettes (measures in 0.5ml increments). Got the 100 pack for 6$. These have come in handy for dosing, target feeding, and running tests.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Too funny! Since I retired in Feb. and Donna still has to work, I usually have supper fixed for her. I HATE fast food and found I enjoy cooking anyway. It's a challenge coming up with a good variety of meals day to day. I'm learning how to make alot of the old school stuff, ie, scratch biscuits, pies and cobblers. So pinches and smidgeons have become a regular part of my life. LOL Just call me a stubby Betty Crocker! OS.

Too funny! Since I retired in Feb. and Donna still has to work, I usually have supper fixed for her. I HATE fast food and found I enjoy cooking anyway. It's a challenge coming up with a good variety of meals day to day. I'm learning how to make alot of the old school stuff, ie, scratch biscuits, pies and cobblers. So pinches and smidgeons have become a regular part of my life. LOL Just call me a stubby Betty Crocker! OS.

Glad someone knew the measurements!

So the next time you call I'll just say "hi Betty!"

Brian,
Those graduated pipettes are so cool. I had to use them in our lab at work. FANCY!
I should have known you were smart enough to already know about good dosing equipment. Sorry. OS.

Back
Top Bottom