Preferred Soil To Use In Dirted Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghillie115

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I want to start getting my feet wet with dirted tanks on a 5.5 gal that currently sits in the corner of my room with nothing substantial in it. I have done some research and people keep recommending Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Mix:

https://www.miraclegro.com/en-us/products/soils-amendments/miracle-gro-organic-choice-potting-mix

However, I cant find it in stock anywhere. I dont know if this is just because of supply issues due to the corona virus or they seriously discontinued selling it. So I wanted to know what other organic soils I should be looking at to get this tank started?

I’ve just used any soil I could get. I’ve found ones with mulch tend to get a lot of stuff floating and also I’ve skipped the ones with wetting agents, etc added.

I’ve just used any soil I could get. I’ve found ones with mulch tend to get a lot of stuff floating and also I’ve skipped the ones with wetting agents, etc added.

Any specific brands or nah

Any specific brands or nah

Over in Aus unfortunately - just clay based soil ones. Maybe try a few small bags to test. I wanted something that settled fairly well and mostly stayed put when trimming plants.

Seachem clarity I thought useful as well. Sometimes had the tank like pea-soup but seemed to help clear it in a day or two.

Alright so here’s my take. I had two dirted tanks that I sold plants out of. Honestly, it was a nightmare. You have to completely strain the soil to get all the rocks, sticks and fertilizer out which takes forever.

If you plan to have fish in there I wouldn’t recommend it at all. Anytime your fish disrupt the substrate it could kick up the dirt and ruin your water. When planting anything dirt goes everywhere.

Personally, I don’t think it’s even worth it. They make such high quality substrate now for tanks and liquid ferts give you all that’s missing.

Just my opinion thought I’d share. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom