Pressurized CO2 - How to fine tune?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hforney

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been trying to fine tune my CO2 for the past couple of days. I have pressurized CO2, Milwaulkee Regulator with Solenoid, and Milwaulkee SMS122 ph controller.

If I adjust the valve and needle valve to get 2 bubbles a second everything works fine until the ph controller turns off the CO2. When the ph controller calls for more CO2 there doesn't seem to be enough pressure to get the bubbles moving again. If I set the valve to about 40 psi and have a steady stream of bubbles in the glass vial everything works fine when the solenoind turns off and comes back on. Is it ok to run the CO2 with such a fast bubble count, so fast you could not begin to estimate the count? The CO2 will stay on for about 10 minutes and drops the ph about 0.4. The CO2 stays off for 30 minutes or so before it comes back on. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks to all............

Do you have a check valve that keeps water from syphoning down the airline tube to the bubble counter?

If not, it takes a good long while for the pressure of the CO2 to force the water out of the line and into your diffuser. I may be misunderstanding your question but a CO2 safe check valve (brass, usually) may be the solution.

Do you have a check valve that keeps water from syphoning down the airline tube to the bubble counter?

No I do not have a check valve installed. There is about 24" inches of tubing between the bubble counter and the Aqua Medic 1000 Reactor. I just took a look and I noticed when the CO2 is off about 80% of the tubing is filled with water. I guess the next time I place an order I will just have to give it a try. I tried where I usually buy my supplies online and they do not have a check valve that says it is for use with CO2. I would imagine the check valve must be rated for CO2 just like the tubing. Back to the drawing board again. LOL

Thanks TankGirl, I see you all over this board helping out. Thanks for being so kind and sharing your knowledge.

I'll be happy to, youronlysin - I got my setup for Christmas and I am so loving it! It was so hard to maintain any kind of steady level with DIY, so this is like magic to me. The plants are responding in kind, as well.

TankGirl, As an experiment I turn off the solenoid than checked to make sure no water was in the CO2 tubing. I than turned the solenoid back on to release the CO2. As soon as I reduce the pressure to below 40 psi the CO2 bubbles cease to enter the Aqua Medic 1000 Reactor. I am wondering if there is a minimum pressure needed to get the CO2 into the reactor. My reactor is connected to the output of my canister filter which is rated at 251 gph. I have emailed Aqua Medic and am waiting for a response.

What type of CO2 system did you set up?

I'd get a check valve to keep the water out of the tubing and see if that does not help. In your original post you ask if it is okay to run the bubbles too fast to count and with that kind of swing I'd say no, that is not going to do the fish any good.

A better solution right now might be to remove the solenoid and just run the CO2 constantly so your pH is stable, assuming you have adequate KH. When you get a check valve put your solenoid back on.

Back
Top Bottom