Question about controling DIY CO2? and how to distribute it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
well I got my DIY CO2 set up today...and the Co2 NEVER STOPS lol, so I was wondering if their was anyway to like "control" it? I dont want it shooting out CO2 24/7 also....I have it running right now, what I did is I got a extra air line tube, and got a tiny sewing pin, and poked about 20 holes in it, and I just kinda "threw" it in their around the tank to try to distribute it...and its working OK but what I want to do ( oh the filter thing diddnt work for me LOL ) is could I get about... 3 or so bubble wands,(since you can bend them and stuff) and run them around the edges of the tank,and have the last one go like through the middle so it gets a fairly good distrabuted? Thanks a ton! I will post pics if anyone wants to see it!

if there is circulation in the tank, co2 dissoled at one position will diffuse throughout the entire water volume in no time.

it will run 24/7, i do not know how you could have the control you want with DIY. if you "stop it" the pressure will build and your bottles could blow up :?

i us a powerhead to chop up the bubbles and disperse it around the tank, works great, just stick you air hose up the intake of the powerhead, and make sure it is low enough in the water that you are not making too much surface aeration.

JDogg said:
it will run 24/7, i do not know how you could have the control you want with DIY. if you "stop it" the pressure will build and your bottles could blow up :?

i us a powerhead to chop up the bubbles and disperse it around the tank, works great, just stick you air hose up the intake of the powerhead, and make sure it is low enough in the water that you are not making too much surface aeration.
I thought about doing that! I have a powerhead but its on my 29 salt...maybe I can find a smaller one....how much GPH would you say?

thanks a ton for the reply's! scarey...having a bottle full of co2 blow up in my bedroom...eeek 8O

i haven't done co2 yet, so i am a newbie - why would you not want it to go all the time? is there an advantage to having it only going when the lights are on or something?

Has anyone ever kept a DIY bottle closed up for a while to see what would happen? I can't see yeast producing the ~100psi the average 2liter bottle bursts at.

zenkatydid said:
i haven't done co2 yet, so i am a newbie - why would you not want it to go all the time? is there an advantage to having it only going when the lights are on or something?

If your plants aren't producing enough O2 during the day for your bioload at night, the result is fish gasping at the surface in the morning since the elevated levels of CO2 make it harder for the fish to use what little O2 is left by the end of the night. Generally in this siguation it's better to run an airstone at night with DIY CO2 rather than trying to regulate the CO2 production. This gasses off the CO2 while it isn't being used and helps to get extra O2 into the water for the plants and fish. If you want to regulate your CO2 levels, then you should spring for Pressurized CO2.

zacusmaximus said:
Has anyone ever kept a DIY bottle closed up for a while to see what would happen? I can't see yeast producing the ~100psi the average 2liter bottle bursts at.

There have been reports from people who had their DIY CO2 get clogged and made a rather good mess when the bottles exploded. So yes it can and has happened.

Back
Top Bottom