Question about lighting for a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jgeezer1986

Aquarium Advice Activist
In another post i explained my new setup with my 55gal tank.. Want to get it well planted. Have some questions about lighting.

2-5w per gallon correct? I only have a 40w on the 55 .. it needs changed.

I see i have to change the starter on it , and i read briefly about the T5 and the kelvin scale, but I can not seem to put it all together...... Correct me if i am wrong.. A good light would be a 110w or more bulb...T5 and about 10,000k? Do i need to change the ballast? I see i atleast need to change the starter on the light. Any help here would be greatly appreciated... Im doing as much studying as possible, probably wont be till spring until i go full bore on this... Thanks

the wpg rule has quite a few holes in it, but yes, 2wpg would be low, up to 4-5 wpg which would probably require a high tech setup. You'll need to get a whole new fixture if youre going to go with t5 or t5ho if you dont have it already. the cost of upgrading end caps and ballasts, along with the trouble, would be more than what its worth. fish need it;lights; food;Sponge has cheap 2x54w fixtures that would give you a good low-medium light setup, and you probably wouldnt even have to worry with co2. the t rating is just the size of the bulb in 1/8's of an inch. so a t5 is 5/8" diameter. the k or kelvin rating is the color temperature. plants can use anything between 6500-10,000k.

For now , what would be my best option for a bulb with my current setup to just support what plants i have now. I have an anacharis , and another plant that i still do not know the name of. Its a 48" 40w bulb...

thats all youre going to be able to do is 40w. its not the bulb, its the ballast. if you dont already have a daylight bulb, you'll need one, but you probably wont be able to do more than java moss and anubias, and thats a maybe

ok and one more ?. My tank does not look like it has enough room on it to handle a double light setup on top. It is only 12" wide and everything on it now is tight the way it is. Is a double light setup even possible for me? Is there other options for me other than a hood lamp?

I dont know yet.. i want a variety. Something tall , something small , something that floats, something with Colors.. for now im thinking like java moss and a better bulb that will work in my tank.

you can do all that with crypts which are for the most part low light.

good idea check out this web site.
PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

figure out what you think you want. shop lights you should be able to get away with low light plants with the t5 ho 2x54w like fishneedit you should be able to get away with low and medium light plants.

Back
Top Bottom