Question about Rotala Indica

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redfisher1139

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I just leave it floating? Every time I put it back in the gravel, someone comes along and knocks it free, so it never has a chance to root, but it actually looks good floating, so that is why I was wondering. Thanks.

yes... however if you leave it floating it will eventually start growing roots out of the middle of the plant stem, and it gets kind of ugly. Better to keep it rooted. If you can maybe weight it down with something until it gets established, that would be best. Eventually, it will grow an expansive root system that will make it hard to get out of the substrate without making a big mess!

Thanks fort. How about if I move it to another tank where the fish aren't bothering the batch that's in there now? Can it be moved back once it roots, and if so, about how long should that take, so I can monitor it without it creating too big of a root system?

I think that could work... It starts off slow, but once established, it will start growing roots like mad (if the lighting and water chemistry are correct). You will be able to tell... it will grow new stem/leaves as well as roots. When you see big time growth on the top, the bottom is probably growing too.

The thing is, as soon as you pull it out of the other tank, it will still try and float up on you for awhile. When it grows where it stays, the roots actually attach themselves to the substrate, and thats what helps anchor it.

Back
Top Bottom