Question on Jungle vals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have obviously figured out the only way to trim these plants is to trim off the top as they grow so darn fast. My question is I know they propogate by runners, I have several runners, but can you split the plant at the base of the roots to create two plants or only rely on the runners to have new plants?

I don't think you would be successful in trying to "split" the root. Once they start putting out runners you will have a hard enough time keeping them under control. When trimming them, it is better to cut them off as short as possible because I have found that the whole leave will die off anyway.

I don't believe you can split the root base. Once they start propagating, you'll have plenty. A friend of mine just cleared out 150 vals from his tank. Barely made a dent in the appearance.

I didn't think so, I started with one and now have 8, and that was 5 months ago. I cut the tops off them every 2 weeks and they continue to grow 12+"! I'll keep snipping the runners, I want to try them in the cichlid tank. I think they will attach well enough to the egg crate under the sand that the cichlids might not dig them up as easily as many plants. The 125 and the goldfish tank are now the only 2 out of 12 tanks that I haven't planted to some extent and I want the cichlid tank to have some tall plants as the tank is so big.

Back
Top Bottom