Questions about algae/media debris?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aconyte

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a 10 gallon planted community tank. I say planted, but really it just has some cabomba, a moss ball, and some anubias and java fern in it. My plants are growing really well, but they always have a coat of brown debris on their leaves. I'm trying to remove it all with frequent water changes, but I don't want to disturb my fish too much (dwarf gourami, 3 bandit cory cats, 3 tequila sunrise guppies and 4 sarpae tetras). I stopped putting Flourish in when I restocked my tank in February on the grounds that that many fish would be sufficient fertilizer and it seems to have cut down on the hair algae, but I can't figure out if this stuff is a different type of algae or debris from my substrate which is Fluval Plant Stratum.

Instead of just posting a ton of pics, here is an album of them. Hopefully you guys can help!

Not diatoms at all? Has your tank been set up long and if you rub the leaf between your fingers does the brown come off at all?

Ya not diatoms but I have no idea what that is. It kind of resembles BBA but kind of doesn't. I will be following to find out!

I can tell you that providing more info about the tank would help people help you! How long has the tank been up and running, whats your lighting and filtration, how often do you do water changes and how much water, are you dosing macro nutrients as well as micros, co2?

I don't use any ferts at this point as I was getting a really bad algae problem with them. I think I may have fixed it actually, lol. I took apart my filter and cleaned out the motor. I'm starting to think that it was just a mixture of algae and debris from my substrate that had just covered everything. My water is completely clear now and there's almost nothing on the leaves :3

Back
Top Bottom