RadMax8's 29 gal Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RadMax8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys! Figured it was high time I got myself a tank thread. I did a little rescape action tonight, and I've been recovering from a post-vacation mini-cycle and wanted to share.

Left side:

Right side:

Driftwood with moss and nuked BBA:

Full tank shot:

Enjoy!

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Hey guys! Figured it was high time I got myself a tank thread. I did a little rescape action tonight, and I've been recovering from a post-vacation mini-cycle and wanted to share.

Left side:

Right side:

Driftwood with moss and nuked BBA:

Full tank shot:

Enjoy!

Following! The AR and Blyxa look really healthy!

It's going to be great when it fills in. Subbed :)

I sure hope so. I've been struggling along for about 6 months now. These plants are real troopers. I've finally got my CO2 dialed up and my light dialed down, plus the fertilizer mix is looking good.

Quick question for you guys: I added some corkscrew Val in the back and it's experiencing some melt. I know this is a pretty prolific plant, about how long should it take to bounce back? I've had the plant for about a month now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you're dosing glut it may be the cause of the melt,all the vals I tried to this point don't like it...

sit in silence...

I did nuke the BBA with a 50/50 mix of H2O2 and glut. I figure that's why I'm getting some melt, but I'm not sure about new growth. I don't really plan on adding any more glut to the mix, I just hope they come back!

I've read that you can gradually and slowly increase your glut supplementation to acclimate Vals to the presence of Glut. Otherwise, the stuff melts it if you start off heavy.

I gave a good look in there last night and I think I'm starting to see some new growth. Glut won't be part of the daily dosing regimen for this tank, so I'm not too worried.

We've been having storms up here in north east Ohio, and my power flicked off sometime yesterday. When that happens, my Aquatek regulator sticks in the "off" position. So my drop checker was a lovely shade of deep green yesterday. I'm trying to keep everything as consistent as possible to get good growth and get rid of algae, but boy is it tough!

Came home from work today and saw some crud on the glass from across the room. As I got closer I realized that it wasn't just some gunk, it was eggs! I'm not sure who is responsible. My guess is the two cories based on egg size. They haven't spawned in over a year though. I've also got otos in there, not sure their egg laying habits. Check it out:

Don't cories lay their eggs closer to the substrate?

Following along too

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've had them lay eggs towards the top, but never that concentrated.

Plus, I don't know what else could lay those eggs. My neons and cardinals would scatter eggs, and the harlequin rasbora lay under leaves.

Think corys stick em to stuff and things?? I'm watching!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh good! Just need to get Fresh and tiger on this one, then the whole gang would be here haha.

I'm wondering if I could move these to one of those mesh breeder boxes, toss a floaty plant in there, and see what happens!

Oh good! Just need to get Fresh and tiger on this one, then the whole gang would be here haha.

I'm wondering if I could move these to one of those mesh breeder boxes, toss a floaty plant in there, and see what happens!

how big are they? Otto eggs are notoriously tiny when the occasional accidental spawn is documented... Got any snails in there? They could be behind the eggs but I can't think of a single snail that lays eggs in that manner.

From what i have read otos lay eggs kinda like how yours are and they breed like cories with the T formation. Not saying they are oto eggs but maybe your one of the lucky few.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm like 99% sure it's the cories. Funny thing is, I have exactly two now. Not too tough to tell who's the mommy and who's the daddy.

Got a couple new toys this weekend. I picked up a TDS meter and a ph pen. Pretty cool to see how much stuff is in the tank. I was in the mid to upper 300's before the water change, mid 200's after. Might do a couple partials this week to get my levels down.

Also had to whip up another batch of PPS Pro. Added a little more CSM+B to the mix, saw a couple holes in leaves which led me to believe there was a slight Mn deficiency.

All the Cory eggs have been munched on. I'm not super disappointed because I didn't have the equipment to raise them. Maybe next time.

Plants which are doing well: ammania bonsai, blyxa japonica, bacopa carolina.
Plants which are surviving: crypt wentidii, AR mini, pogostemon erectus.
Plants which are touch and go: cyperus helferi, corkscrew val, star repens.

I just ordered the combo too! Curious now..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom