Redo my 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EndlersEatGuppies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Currently as my 10g stand's it has an
Aquaclear 10
Hood with 2 x 13 watt 6500K
I currently have my light's on 6 hour's a day.

I've been trying to keep it planted but with no success. I have a DIY nutrafin CO2 kit and when I run it the plants do good but the algae go's over the top and get's uncontrollable.

What would you guy's recommend me do to be able to be successful, what light, fert, plant's, substrate?

I really like the ray 2s for higher light, and fugerays for more lower light plants...root tabs and dry ferts, a good plant substrate (eco-complete, flora max, etc) or dirt...DIY CO2 or pressurized...I have never heard of nutrafin brand...I run pressurized CO2, have fluval stratum, dose iron phosphate and total root tabs from AquariumPlants.com, PPS-Pro and run high light and i can grow lots of plants to their full potential

I really like the ray 2s for higher light, and fugerays for more lower light plants...root tabs and dry ferts, a good plant substrate (eco-complete, flora max, etc) or dirt...DIY CO2 or pressurized...I have never heard of nutrafin brand...I run pressurized CO2, have fluval stratum, dose iron phosphate and total root tabs from AquariumPlants.com, PPS-Pro and run high light and i can grow lots of plants to their full potential

Could you possibly link me to everything you run on your 10g?

The less cash the better, All I want is for the tank to look nice.

I would love for my tank to look like these

3802445285_ea5a96f79f_o.jpg

img3223gr5.jpg

img_2320326_2_bb74f3538e2746586bfc39e4e4ceea84.jpg

Those look like pretty high light tanks, especially the first one. First, you would need a good light to grow the plants you want - do you have any ideas of plants yet? - do you want plants with color? And I would get either a 2 bulb T5HO which is what seems to be on the first one, or a good LED light. On my 60g, I have a 48" 2 bulb T5HO with 2 6700K 54watt T5's and I also have 2 48" TrueLumen Pro 8,000K 30watt LED strips. I can't really help much with lighting, but maybe someone else can chime in? Next you want good substrate, this can mean dirt, any commercial plant substrate such as Eco-complete, fluval stratum, flora max, AquaSoil. I would run a pressurized CO2 system, just because that's what I would prefer but you can also do a DIY system- again- I am no help with those. On my 60, it runs a 5lb pressurized CO2 system...then you will need good fertilizers (root tabs and dry ferts is the best way to go) you can use the liquid ferts like Comprehensive, but dosing dry ferts instead is what many have found to work better. I use AquariumPlants.com root tabs (Iron, Phosphate, and Total) and dose PPS-Pro (Rivercats doses the same ferts in her 220g as I do in my 60g) and you can see the results in our tanks...but she doesn't use CO2! Other than that...just keep up with WC, have good parameters, all the basic things to keeping an aquarium and you should get great results! At least, that's all I do in my planted tanks :)

So my list is

T5 HO dual fixture
Root tabs
Flora Max or similar
PPS PRO
CO2

Is that list good?

So my list is

T5 HO dual fixture
Root tabs
Flora Max or similar
PPS PRO
CO2

Is that list good?

I mean that's the essentials for a higher tech tank...might want to PM Rivercats if she doesn't reply to this thread - she will have a lot more and detailed info on this stuff - she's the one that helped me start my 60 and has lots of knowledge to share...but other than that I can think of anything else you would need to have

Back
Top Bottom