Removing potassium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrice

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If K is in high doses, it can result in the NO3 reaching zero.

I have issue with nitrate, even if i add 12 gram of nitrate in 33 gallons aquarium i will have no more then 10ppm, so that mean k is to high right? Also, because of this i can't add phosphate without getting algae bloom. how to lower potassium?

• i use dry powder from aquariumfertilizer and filtered water.
  • epson salt(magnesium)
  • potassium nitrate
  • csm+b
  • calcium from Cuttle bone (small piece)

If K is in high doses, it can result in the NO3 reaching zero.

I have issue with nitrate, even if i add 12 gram of nitrate in 33 gallons aquarium i will have no more then 10ppm, so that mean k is to high right? Also, because of this i can't add phosphate without getting algae bloom. how to lower potassium?

[*]i use dry powder from aquariumfertilizer and filtered water.
[*]epson salt(magnesium)
[*]potassium nitrate
[*]csm+b
[*]calcium from Cuttle bone (small piece)

The only way it will disappear is if the plants are utilizing the nitrate. I overdose potassium in order to promote the highest uptake of nitrogen and phosphate. 10 ppm of nitrate is perfectly fine and won't adversely affect your plants if that's your concern. Unless your well planted I can't see your nitrate disappearing that fast. Do you have fish in the tank?

I do no have fish.

And i still think, 9 to 12 grams of kno3 is way to much for a small result(also expensive). Especially if my plants need phosphate and i can't add any without algae bloom. Usually, i think, around 3 grams should've been fine for 10 ppm.

p.s. I have heard of using alchemy and removing k from no3 or k from magnesium. if thats possible!

12g into 33 gallons is about 100 ppm. I think either your test kit is bad or your nitrate salt got switched with another salt.

12g into 33 gallons is about 100 ppm. I think either your test kit is bad or your nitrate salt got switched with another salt.

test kit fine
nitrate salt may be diluted,but i don't think so, and its a reputable place. I guest i will need to test it again.

Those are literally the only two options for what you're describing. Nothing we use in aquariums have been shown to obfuscate nitrate test results like you're describing, and unless you're conducting cold fusion in your aquarium, the two are unrelated.

You could consider calibrating your test kit.

Those are literally the only two options for what you're describing. Nothing we use in aquariums have been shown to obfuscate nitrate test results like you're describing, and unless you're conducting cold fusion in your aquarium, the two are unrelated.

You are right, my potassium nitrate is diluted. When i calculate, in this web site (theaquatools.com/fertilization-calculator) i surpose to have 20 ppm in 10 litres if i add .32 gram. I have 10ppm. I am wondering what they have replace it with. I was naive to believe that its was something else the problem.

I already send a email. and hope they will be of help.

10 points for using obfuscate :D

You are right, my potassium nitrate is diluted. When i calculate, in this web site (theaquatools.com/fertilization-calculator) i surpose to have 20 ppm in 10 litres if i add .32 gram. I have 10ppm. I am wondering what they have replace it with. I was naive to believe that its was something else the problem.

Where did you get the nitrate at? Also, what test kit are you using? What is your exact method of testing with the nitrate kit?

Did you also test the 10L before you added anything to make sure you had 0 ppm? Solid salts usually don't dilute like that, although you do get some hygroscopic absorption with some chemicals. The change wouldn't be as profound as you describe.

10 points for using obfuscate

I try :D .

Back
Top Bottom